Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    Where is Doctor Dave to smack both of you around?
    FTP

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
      Ah, inadequate PPE? Surely a properly trained professional would not go into the hot zone without the proper PPE.

So much schooling and training...

I never said the contamination was in the donning and/or doffing. I said that is where most contaminations occur, especially with the health care professionals.

I would call this fault on just about all levels. Government oversight, hospital administration and the actual patient handlers.

Sorry to get all the nurses on here twisted up in their naughty little skirts.

LOL

Well from a pre-hospital perspective that would be nearly impossible. Usually our pre-arrival details are terrible and often do not even fit the description of the call. I have asked that our dispatch try and provide more clear details about people w/ those symptoms, but we'll see. Probably get sent to a diabetic problem and end up getting the damn Ebola and die

Comment

Ah, inadequate PPE? Surely a properly trained professional would not go into the hot zone without the proper PPE.

So much schooling and training...

I never said the contamination was in the donning and/or doffing. I said that is where most contaminations occur, especially with the health care professionals.

I would call this fault on just about all levels. Government oversight, hospital administration and the actual patient handlers.

Sorry to get all the nurses on here twisted up in their naughty little skirts.
        Im not twisted up.. I just find it amazing lots of people have no fucking clue about healthcare and comment on how complicated PPE is (someone posted the CDC posters). Lots of people here act like they are about to get it when realistically only 3 (one died) out of 26,448,193 (thanks google) people in Texas have got it. Every year there is a new freak out. If you look at the statistics, ebola aint shit compared to what people die of. I know I have no idea what Im talking about, but at least the shit Im talking about (some of it) is from what we are told by hospital admins who is talking to the CDC daily. The info is coming to the people who is going to have to take care of these people. You guys fear this shit from the computer but Im the fool that will be taking care of and at risk for ebola.

Comment

• Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
          LOL

Well from a pre-hospital perspective that would be nearly impossible. Usually our pre-arrival details are terrible and often do not even fit the description of the call. I have asked that our dispatch try and provide more clear details about people w/ those symptoms, but we'll see. Probably get sent to a diabetic problem and end up getting the damn Ebola and die
          Right, but historically, first responders have better training and equipment for that reason. I'd say the FD would PPE up just better than just about anyone. I might be biased since that's what most of my training was based on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Back N Black View Post
            The only difference in education is in things that apply to hospital specific things. I actually carry a higher skill set than a nurse. I can act without orders, intubate, etc...we are taught the same medical education, just the nurse receives care specific training IE ICU, L&D etc where as I am taught to handle it all on an emergent basis.
            Just for fun... I have seen some dumb shit done by medics. Ask any ER nurse...they will tell ya

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Just for fun... I have seen some dumb shit done by medics. Ask any ER nurse...they will tell ya

Comment

• Property Plant & Equipment?
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Im not twisted up.. I just find it amazing lots of people have no fucking clue about healthcare and comment on how complicated PPE is (someone posted the CDC posters). Lots of people here act like they are about to get it when realistically only 3 (one died) out of 26,448,193 (thanks google) people in Texas have got it. Every year there is a new freak out. If you look at the statistics, ebola aint shit compared to what people die of. I know I have no idea what Im talking about, but at least the shit Im talking about (some of it) is from what we are told by hospital admins who is talking to the CDC daily. The info is coming to the people who is going to have to take care of these people. You guys fear this shit from the computer but Im the fool that will be taking care of and at risk for ebola.
                  I'm more or less playing devil's advocate since you originally had a pretty plums attitude about the healthcare PPE practices. I just find it hard to believe that kind of confidence when I spend most of my time writing up those practices in my inspection reports. Well, mostly on the actual biohazard waste containment and storage, but the flaws in personal protection runs a decent second.

Comment

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    Property Plant & Equipment?
                    Personal Protective Equipment

Comment

I'm more or less playing devil's advocate since you originally had a pretty plums attitude about the healthcare PPE practices. I just find it hard to believe that kind of confidence when I spend most of my time writing up those practices in my inspection reports. Well, mostly on the actual biohazard waste containment and storage, but the flaws in personal protection runs a decent second.
                      You working for DNV or JCAHO?

Comment

I feel confident with the proper PPE and education, we as healthcare workers can take care of these patients. PPE is not that complicated and is something we use everyday. There are days where I will put on a gown/gloves/mask 50 times in a shift. I know how to do it. Not having the proper PPE is something we cant help.

If you read the WFAA article I posted it said these nurses didnt have any of the right PPE. I think this is more of a problem rather than donning/doffing. We will see if it is actually airborne (atomized) or not. My hospital has been pushing for n95 masks since day 1. My ass will wear a n100. If this is truly droplet/contact then double gloving (many people do this with cdiff patients) is a possible help.

Biohazard is another story. We were just talking with the MD's at work about what we would do with the biohazard with CRRT (continuous dialysis) patients as the effluent (pee) is usually dumped into the toilet. We usually go through a 5 liter bag every other hour. We decided it was best to seal the bags (cap it) and put it in biohazard barrels (special barrels for ebola apparently). This puts us at less risk.

Comment

You working for DNV or JCAHO?
                          Negative. I'm consulting now. I'm brought in to assist facilities prior to big brother's visits or after, when needed.

Comment

Negative. I'm consulting now. I'm brought in to assist facilities prior to big brother's visits or after, when needed.
                            Very nice! You running your own company or you with someone?

Comment

I feel confident with the proper PPE and education, we as healthcare workers can take care of these patients. PPE is not that complicated and is something we use everyday. There are days where I will put on a gown/gloves/mask 50 times in a shift. I know how to do it. Not having the proper PPE is something we cant help.

If you read the WFAA article I posted it said these nurses didnt have any of the right PPE. I think this is more of a problem rather than donning/doffing. We will see if it is actually airborne (atomized) or not. My hospital has been pushing for n95 masks since day 1. My ass will wear a n100. If this is truly droplet/contact then double gloving (many people do this with cdiff patients) is a possible help.

Biohazard is another story. We were just talking with the MD's at work about what we would do with the biohazard with CRRT (continuous dialysis) patients as the effluent (pee) is usually dumped into the toilet. We usually go through a 5 liter bag every other hour. We decided it was best to seal the bags (cap it) and put it in biohazard barrels (special barrels for ebola apparently). This puts us at less risk.
                              Definitely scoop up the barrels! It wasn't a stretch from the truth when they were talking about the back up of bioshit they had (to the ceiling). If you get a patient with Ebola, it'll be coming out of every end eventually.

Do you transport it off or incinerate locally?

Comment

Very nice! You running your own company or you with someone?
                                I'm with a firm. They are considering bringing me into the partnership.

Comment

Working...
                                X