No announcement yet.

Ebola on US shores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did that SOB write about 9/11 in 1987?

Comment

• Life imitating art, perhaps?
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        Life imitating art, perhaps?
        Mind blown. I want to read it now to find out how the survivors make it.The Final Inhumanity looks like a better read.

Comment

• Originally posted by helosailor View Post
          Life imitating art, perhaps?
          Maybe Thomas Duncan read it?
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Can someone explain to me why move the patients? I know the CDC has now proven to be no help. Why risk moving patients around the country to potentially contaminate more? Why not just shut isolate them all in the same place, evacuate people, clear down floors, and lock down the facility till its ran its course, and not risk a movement?

One going to Atlanta, one going to Maryland....it just is not rocket science to me....

add...the camera man that was brought back is in Nebraska too i believe?
            Last edited by zachary; 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• I wonder if this cluster could be related to Howard Koh resigning. He went back to his cushy job at Harvard and there isn't really a reason given. The CDC and the Surgeon General report to the department of the HHS.

It's obvious they aren't in control of the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by zachary View Post
                Can someone explain to me why move the patients? I know the CDC has now proven to be no help. Why risk moving patients around the country to potentially contaminate more? Why not just shut isolate them all in the same place, evacuate people, clear down floors, and lock down the facility till its ran its course, and not risk a movement?

One going to Atlanta, one going to Maryland....it just is not rocket science to me....

add...the camera man that was brought back is in Nebraska too i believe?
                I would assume to get them to facilities more properly equipped to handle the infected. Removing them now reduces the chance of further contamination due to time of exposure.
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                  Mind blown. I want to read it now to find out how the survivors make it.The Final Inhumanity looks like a better read.
                  $1.99 Kindle. Small price to pay for a survival manual.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Zero-Frederick-Aldrich-ebook/dp/B008MKPLSQ[/ame]
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Can someone explain to me why move the patients?
                    Word on the talk show was the rest of staff is saying, eff this and calling in sick. So they are short staffed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Did that SOB write about 9/11 in 1987?
                      What book are you referring to?

Comment

• demonstration of how healthcare workers manage to get sick

Sanjay Gupta Uses Chocolate Sauce To Show Us How Easy It Is To Get Ebola

The infection of two Texas nurses who treated Thomas Eric Duncan, a Liberian patient with Ebola, has exposed serious holes in the preparedness of US hospitals to treat the virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are now investigating the procedures at Texas Health Presbyterian, where the healthcare workers became infected, including which protective equipment is being used and how it is being put on, the decontamination process once workers leave the isolation unit, and the training provided to hospital workers.

The CDC still does not know how the latest Ebola patient contracted the virus, but it is clear that even extremely minor oversights while following hospital protocols can increase the risk of getting Ebola.

To illustrate how easy it is to spread Ebola from patient to worker, CNN's Sanjay Gupta demonstrated in a video how a worker would generally suit up and then remove his or her protective gear when following the CDC's guidelines. Gupta uses chocolate sauce to represent Ebola.

First, Gupta puts on his full-body suit.

Next someone pours chocolate sauce into his hands to represent the Ebola virus.

Gupta rubs his hands together. The gloves would be the most likely contaminated area, he says.

The front of the gown can also be easily contaminated if the worker smears his or her hands across it.

Gupta then demonstrates how the gown would typically be removed, ripping it off in one motion.

If part of the glove brushed across his bare hand as he was removing the gown, then that could be a potential exposure, he says.

If his face-shield is contaminated, then the virus could also be transferred to his neck as he lifts the mask over his head.

Removing the face mask poses the same issue.

After all his protective clothing is removed, Gupta points out that he has chocolate sauce (Ebola) on his arm.

There's also some stuff on his neck.

Gupta says this method may work in many hospital situations but that three things "really jumped out at him" as being problematic.

First, not all of his skin was covered, which could be an issue "if there was some splattering from a patient who was sick." Second, Gupta says that in pictures provided by the CDC, there is no "buddy system," or someone who checks workers when they put on their garb and when they remove it. Lastly, he notes that there's no specific requirement for cleaning one's hands before taking off the gloves.

Comment

• No specific requirement to wash ones hands.....I am scrubbing every bit of exposed flesh if I am in that situation. Every time I remove my PPE
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The move to Atlanta is to put a nurse who didnt maintain quarantine in Emory hospital which is specialized in infectious diseases.

It also relieves the staff of any Dallas hospital from having to deal with multiple patients and limits the risk of exposure since it has now become apparent CDC didnt train or develop procedures for hospitals to deal with ebola

Comment

• I read somewhere they should wear 2 sets of gloves so if they have contamination on the gloves, when they pull the first set off they are still protected, then proceed to remove the rest of the shit they are wearing.

Comment

Uhhh, how else are we going to spread this disease around the entire country so Obama can then start up a new committee to oversee it and devise a plan to save us all?

Comment

Working...
                                X