Thinking of getting exhaust work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting exhaust work...

Does anyone know if an 18" Magnaflow will be quieter than an 18" Flowmaster?

My current setup is an 18 Flowmaster, single in/dual out, with redneck tips out the back. The drone sucks ass and I'm sick of it. This is on an 07 Sierra w/ the 5.3.

I stopped by a muffler shop and he said he can install a Magnaflow, SI/DO, forgot what size, and two of their double walled stainless steel tips for $380, not sure of the quality of their tips and that sounds a little on the high side. He also said the double walled tips help reduce the echo...is that correct?

I've been reading through silveradosierra.com and found mixed reviews about Magnaflow being too loud and not loud enough I'm trying to get rid of the drone at cruising speeds and I'm thinking of going with a 21" magnaflow with shorter tips.

Is there a difference in sound when going with a SI/SO running behind the wheel?
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 08-03-2014, 12:48 AM.

Muffler king FTW! PM OrangeChevyII on here for the advice and the work, best dude around I tell ya...

Comment

They don't call them dronemasters for no reason. If you don't have your factory resonator still in you will get drone at certain rpms regardless. And get rid of the retarded echo tips or redneck tips. They just make people look like idiots.

Comment

I had a chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor in it and I'm not sure what muffler it had on it when I got it but it sounded good and no drone with just enough volume for me to be happy. Then one of the internal baffle welds broke on it and it sounded horrible so I replaced it with a magnaflow like the one you mentioned. I HATED that thing, tons of drone at 45mph and 65mph. I almost always had to kick on the tow/haul button to change the RPM so I could stop the drone.
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I'll PM OrangeChevyII.

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          They don't call them dronemasters for no reason. If you don't have your factory resonator still in you will get drone at certain rpms regardless. And get rid of the retarded echo tips or redneck tips. They just make people look like idiots.
          In my defense, this setup was already on there when I got the truck , I just decided to bite the bullet and spend the money to change it. I'll google to see if I can find what the factory resonator looks like. I looked under there and it looks like the stock exhaust piping is still there and they just cut out the stock muffler and installed the flowmaster, then ran dual pipes to the back.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
          I had a chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor in it and I'm not sure what muffler it had on it when I got it but it sounded good and no drone with just enough volume for me to be happy. Then one of the internal baffle welds broke on it and it sounded horrible so I replaced it with a magnaflow like the one you mentioned. I HATED that thing, tons of drone at 45mph and 65mph. I almost always had to kick on the tow/haul button to change the RPM so I could stop the drone.
          Do you recall if you had similar exhaust tips? That's what I've been reading by other people too, but then there's other posts saying there's no drone. I thought the drone was due to the chamber style muffler, but magnaflow isn't a chamber. From what I found out, the drone is also more noticeable when the engine drops to 4cylinders. Once I install a CAI, I'll turn it off in the tune.

I'm thinking of cutting the tips off to see how much of the drone is being amplified by them. They are 15" long and 3" in diameter exiting "Yosemite Sam" style - but it'll be replaced with 1, maybe 2, 10" or less, tips exiting behind the right wheel. Just something to dress it up. If one reduces drone, then one tip is fine with me, plus that would be cheaper.

Anyone ever heard of the double wall tips being quieter? I thought it was just for aesthetics.

What other muffler is a good choice? I want it to sound good when getting on it, but quiet when cruising around.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            I'll PM OrangeChevyII.

In my defense, this setup was already on there when I got the truck , I just decided to bite the bullet and spend the money to change it. I'll google to see if I can find what the factory resonator looks like. I looked under there and it looks like the stock exhaust piping is still there and they just cut out the stock muffler and installed the flowmaster, then ran dual pipes to the back.

Do you recall if you had similar exhaust tips? That's what I've been reading by other people too, but then there's other posts saying there's no drone. I thought the drone was due to the chamber style muffler, but magnaflow isn't a chamber. From what I found out, the drone is also more noticeable when the engine drops to 4cylinders. Once I install a CAI, I'll turn it off in the tune.

I'm thinking of cutting the tips off to see how much of the drone is being amplified by them. They are 15" long and 3" in diameter exiting "Yosemite Sam" style - but it'll be replaced with 1, maybe 2, 10" or less, tips exiting behind the right wheel. Just something to dress it up. If one reduces drone, then one tip is fine with me, plus that would be cheaper.

Anyone ever heard of the double wall tips being quieter? I thought it was just for aesthetics.

What other muffler is a good choice? I want it to sound good when getting on it, but quiet when cruising around.
            I don't recall on the tip, but here's a pic of it. It was 3" dual in single out and I think around 18-20" that I had to go with. It was louder than the one I had and unbearable drone on it. The truck didn't go into 4cyl mode, it just guzzled gas.

Originally posted by stevo
            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My 07 silverado 5.3 had a full length magnaflow catback..when the AFM kicked in the drone was barely noticeable.

Comment

Spintechs won't drone and sound good!

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

The magnaflow will be much quieter vs the flowdisaster.
                  Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

I want to put a muffler on my truck but I have factory duals with no crossover (6.0) and i don't want it to sound like ass.

Suggestions ?

OCII, how hard is it to put in an x pipe ?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

My last 4 silverados to current:

5.3 with an X-Pipe and 2 chamber flows dumped right after the mufflers. It sounded like a fox body , it was pretty loud, and it droned all the time.

5.3 with Long Tubes, no cats, and a gibson side exit. It was loud as shit. I mean real loud.

4.8 with a large Magnaflow 2.5" and it exited right behind the back bumper. This one was kinda quiet but it sounded good and didn't drone at all.

6.2 with Large Magnaflow 3.5" turned down right behind the muffler... Has some drone when it's lugging around with a load or low speed. Drone isn't bad enough to bother me and it sounds great otherwise. It's stock other than the muffler/ lack of rear resonator.

Comment

Working...
                      X