Pch Hwy 1 California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pch Hwy 1 California

Who has done the drive and in what amount of time? Was thinking about flying into LAX, renting a vette and driving up to SFO. Is 3 days total enough time? Would love to stay longer but a Mon thu Wed is all I have available.
    2015 F250 Platinum

3 days will be PLENTY of time, with some to spare in both LA in SF. You're going to love it, it's beautiful. Don't miss 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach while you're driving through there also.

Comment

Yup 3 days will be plenty.

All depends on what you want to do.

Hit up the spud point crab company in bodega bay. Best crab sandwiches ever!!!!!

The redwood forrest thing is neat. There is alot of little things to do.

I went from san diego-portland taking coast the whole way. It took little over a week.

Comment

Is there any way to get a discount on a Vette from Hertz?
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

The wife and I spend 5 days driving from San Diego to San Francisco. We stayed the night in at least 1 night in every major city.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
            Is there any way to get a discount on a Vette from Hertz?

Yes. Get a Triple A membership. If you rent cars frequently through Hertz you'll save the cost of the membership in no time. Also sign up for Hertz Gold Rewards.

Comment

I've done a few hours north and south of San Fran and did LAX to Laguna Beach in a Carrera that I rented from Hertz.

It's hard to get a discount on Adrenaline, Prestige and Dream cars at Hertz unless you have been a Gold member with a lot of rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                I've done a few hours north and south of San Fran and did LAX to Laguna Beach in a Carrera that I rented from Hertz.

It's hard to get a discount on Adrenaline, Prestige and Dream cars at Hertz unless you have been a Gold member with a lot of rentals.

Triple A Membership gave me 20% off a 9 day rental on a 2012 5.0, which is from their Adrenalin Collection. Had never previously rented from them.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  Triple A Membership gave me 20% off a 9 day rental on a 2012 5.0, which is from their Adrenalin Collection. Had never previously rented from them.
                  Geez, I'm definitely looking into AAA then. That's a great discount, I always thought it was a small percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                    Geez, I'm definitely looking into AAA then. That's a great discount, I always thought it was a small percentage.

Yeah, it was about a $200 savings. Of course I paid about $100 for the membership. Then I ended up also using it twice with my old '99 GT, so I felt like I really came out ahead on that one. haha Also saved the same on my Alaska Roadtrip with a luxobarge Buick. Put a total of over 7800 miles on those two cars in 18 days. I'm sure Hertz hates me.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                      Who has done the drive and in what amount of time? Was thinking about flying into LAX, renting a vette and driving up to SFO. Is 3 days total enough time? Would love to stay longer but a Mon thu Wed is all I have available.
                      I did it in three days. i started at the border on a motorcycle, rode to Santa Barbara, stayed a night on the beach in a motel then continued up to Marin City the second night, then the third day went up to Fort Bragg before getting trapped by fog and having to burn a day to wait it out then decided to head back down via highway 20-> I-5-> various back roads all the way back to Texas. Loved it.......

Comment

If you have time, drive/ride this route, one of the best routes Ive done in California and Ive probably ridden/driven 20,000 miles in that state on just scenic routes. You will have to backtrack once you get to the backside of Los Padres in the high desert but it's worth it. It has a 15 mile switchback section that makes parts of Italy jealous.

Highway 33 pics

And if you get to SF ahead of time, run over to Hollister and back down highway 25 to highway 198 then take it west back to the 101 which will take you back to SF. Another excellent drive. You can also check out Pinnacles National Park on that route too.

If you go inland at all do the Big Bear run and Joshua Tree run as well. Well worth it imo.

And then you have the Sierra Nevadas.......heaven.....
                        Last edited by SMKR; 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Here's another drive that I personally enjoyed thoroughly. This drive is through mountain foothills with some fun switchbacks, all surrounded by redwood forest.

It's north of Monterey and this route will take you off Hwy 1 and start heading you over toward the major Bay Area highways.

Have fun!

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

17 mile drive is a must, Henry Cowell State park to see trees older than Jesus, and if you pass by Monterey take a short detour to see Laguna Seca Raceway. I bribed the guard at the front gates to get in while Mazda had it closed for their race teams' testing. Very cool experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              Here's another drive that I personally enjoyed thoroughly. This drive is through mountain foothills with some fun switchbacks, all surrounded by redwood forest.

It's north of Monterey and this route will take you off Hwy 1 and start heading you over toward the major Bay Area highways.

Have fun!

x2, thats another excellent route. In a two week span I did 3000 miles in that state riding. An amazing state of scenic routes.

Comment

Working...
                              X