Thoughts and opinions: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and opinions: 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee

97 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l, 2wd, auto. Will be going to look at it after work tonight. Mileage unknown. Guy is asking $500. Will try to post pics later.

What are the known major issues these things have? I know to check for rust, frame damage, leaks, etc. But other than that i know jack shit about jeeps...esp Grand Cherokees. I know it's been sitting for a few years, needs a fuel pump and a battery. But thats it until i get a chance to check it out. What problems should i be on the lookout for?
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
    97 Grand Cherokee, 4.0l, 2wd, auto. Will be going to look at it after work tonight. Mileage unknown. Guy is asking $500. Will try to post pics later.

What are the known major issues these things have? I know to check for rust, frame damage, leaks, etc. But other than that i know jack shit about jeeps...esp Grand Cherokees. I know it's been sitting for a few years, needs a fuel pump and a battery. But thats it until i get a chance to check it out. What problems should i be on the lookout for?
    There are several known issues with those but thy are all easy fixes. If it looks good try to pick it up for a bit less than asking just to be on there safe side. You can normally sell them pretty easily for around $500-$800 as long at it starts. If the body and interior are in reasonable shape, snap it up. Parts are stupid cheap for them but you might have a hard time finding nice replacements due to it being so old. I am having a hard time finding regular Cherokee parts for the fort time. Kinda sucks.

If you want more info pm a number and I will give you a shout and run through most of the known failures.

Comment

The 4.0 engine is a strong engine and is easily a 200k engine. The Grand Cherokee is known to be an electrical nightmare. Lots of little bs to go wrong. 2wd? Meh... For 500 bucks though how can you go wrong?

Comment

Sister drove a 95 Limited 5.2L and it was damned reliable. Couple of electrical bugs with the climate control and a bad power steering pump were the only issues.

Comment

our 04 grand has been a tank. I was skeptical at first but that motor is just non stop and the 4x4 is great. Of course I only have 84k miles but overall it's easy to work on and as mentioned parts are cheap and plentiful.

For $500 I would snap it up if it runs and it's not rusted to shit.

Comment

Well?

Comment

Had two 01s and one 00 GC. All were tanks that ran like champs, would love to have a Cherokee sport one day for a fun off-roader.

Comment

They have more than their share of differential problems and the 42RE trans is one of the biggest turds ever produced. It's $500 though.

Comment

Guy had it sold by the time i got to check it out. Oh well, story of my life.
                  "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Be sure and tell him you have CASH.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I have the exact same vehicle for sale, except its dark green, 140k miles, two owners (i'm the 3rd) all stock, paint is great, no wrecks, michellin tires, a/c and everything works , Texas Jeep so no rust. Though I'm asking a lot more than $500.00...
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by rick modena View Post
                        i have the exact same vehicle for sale, except its dark green, 140k miles, two owners (i'm the 3rd) all stock, paint is great, no wrecks, michellin tires, a/c and everything works , texas jeep so no rust. Though i'm asking a lot more than $500.00...
                        501?
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                          I have the exact same vehicle for sale, except its dark green, 140k miles, two owners (i'm the 3rd) all stock, paint is great, no wrecks, michellin tires, a/c and everything works , Texas Jeep so no rust. Though I'm asking a lot more than $500.00...
                          97 2wd? You might get 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            Post a pic of it, and $601.45 is my top offer!

Comment

Working...
                            X