Childrens educational development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens educational development

How much did your 4 year old know before going into Pre-k? I have no way to measure my son to any other kids, so I don't know if he is behind, on par, or ahead. We don't have any friends with kids our sons age.

He is reading some simple 3-4 letter word books and is breezing through those. He knows how to pronounce every letter. He just gets his D's and B's mixed up. He knows the alphabet and can write every letter(needs work). He is speaking very well and has a few grammatical errors he has to work on. He talks too much probably and I tend to drone him out when he just goes on and on while I am working on something.

He has known his basic shapes for a couple years now.

I am not so sure how he is on math. I will ask him to add some simple things and he kind of seems like he gets it but I am not so sure.

From some of the sites I have read online he is ahead of the curve but it seems like what some groups or organizations deem normal seem behind the curve IMO.

He's 4, relax.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      He's 4, relax.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        I have 3, we hammered performance and expectations into our oldest. She hates studying, does very well, but it's a battle. With our younger 2 we backed off and tried to instill a desire to study things they love. My middle daughter wants to be a vet. She can't get enough, studies everything she can, reads constantly. My son will be 6 on Friday. He loves building, designing, etc. So I've spent a fuck ton legos, but he can read and follow instructions and assemble the difficult versions.

Find his learning style and passion and assist him in developing that.

Comment

based on the posts of his father......... man its a good thing i dont talk about folks kids or old ladys.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sounds like he's a bit above par.

Then there is my kid... I'm in fucking trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              I have 3, we hammered performance and expectations into our oldest. She hates studying, does very well, but it's a battle. With our younger 2 we backed off and tried to instill a desire to study things they love. My middle daughter wants to be a vet. She can't get enough, studies everything she can, reads constantly. My son will be 6 on Friday. He loves building, designing, etc. So I've spent a fuck ton legos, but he can read and follow instructions and assemble the difficult versions.

Find his learning style and passion and assist him in developing that.
              That is cool that the kids know what they are passionate for. Mine is just passionate about TMNT right now.

We aren't really pushing him hard. Once a day for 5 minutes we have him read a book. Every now and then we have him write his name and some letters. At least it doesn't feel like we are pushing him hard.

Comment

My 6 year old step son taught himself to read. He's smart as fuck and it scares us sometimes LOL. He does have aspergers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                  My 6 year old step son taught himself to read. He's smart as fuck and it scares us sometimes LOL. He does have aspergers though.
                  Must take after his father!

Umm...

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                    Get ready for a bumpy ride, my 10 year old has aspergers.

Comment

Working...
                    X