Can't believe it's been a decade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't believe it's been a decade.

Ten years ago today about right now I was having one of my internal organs scooped out and and put into my sister. 2004 ended up being an incredible year in my life, and a lot of it was run off from my perspectives changing due to this event.

For those that weren't around back then, my sister has been very sick since she was a teenager. She was diagnosed on the verge of death with Wegener's Granulomatosis. At the time, there were only about 250 cases in the WORLD, and they had been bringing every doctor that came into the hospital into her room to try and figure out what was going on. She was literally on her death bed when a doctor came in and recognized it right away. This was around 1983, long before the internet brought information to our finger tips.

Her kidney function began to diminish, and she was soon on dialysis. In 1990, when I was 13, my mother donated her kidney to her. It rejected almost immediately. I told her that if she ever needed mine, I would give it to her. Due to my mother being such a close match, they didn't want to risk another living donor, so she went back on dialysis.

In April of 2004, around the time I was celebrating the purchase of my 2001 Cobra, I got a phone call. Things were getting dire, and rejection meds had come a long way since 1990. They were willing to try a living donor again as a last ditch effort. I was on deck. Turned out I was an even better match than my mom due to being a sibling, and within a few months, I was in a cold, quiet hospital at 3 in the morning, being wheeled into surgery on a gurney.

Everything went great, despite me "having the biggest kidney they'd ever seen" and having to cut me open more than they planned to get it out, despite it all being done laparoscopically. I guess that's something to brag about, right? LOL. Mine didn't reject. And a decade later, she is doing great, and has since gotten married.

This site played a big role in my life during this time. Often when I piss someone off, they make the accusation that I spend too much time on here, yadda yadda yadda. Well, this site does mean a lot to me, because it has given me so much, be that for better or worse. Rob and Lyn threw me a huge party the weekend before the transplant, and many of you stopped by the hospital, or my condo afterwards, sometimes bringing food, a movie, something to keep me occupied during the recovery, which was more painful than I was anticipating. haha And that all meant a lot to me. 2004 was a great year in my life, certainly one of the tops, and a lot of it had to do with this place, so for those of you who are still around, I say thank you again.

Also, my mom is still doing fine since giving up her kidney; she is now in her 70's, and just celebrated with my father their 53rd Anniversary last week.

The red velvet kidney cake Rob and Lyn had made for the kidney party:

I joined in October of that year, so I wasn't a part of that. I knew you had donated your kidney to her, but I hadn't heard the story. I'm glad that everyone is doing well.

Comment

That kidney party is up there with the best of them dude. So many shenanigans. I can't believe its been so long either, so much has happened but at the same time it feels like nothing has.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
        That kidney party is up there with the best of them dude. So many shenanigans. I can't believe its been so long either, so much has happened but at the same time it feels like nothing has.

I've been reflecting on the same thing for the last week, knowing the anniversary was coming up. My life is unrecognizable from that time, and while I can conjure the memories as if they were yesterday, and it doesn't feel like it has been so long, when I look at what has happened in my life since it shows me just how long ten years really is. On top of that, this event truly shaped my life, and caused me to shed a lot of post high school baggage that had been following me around(mostly to do with several women, haha), and move forward.

Matt mentioned October above your post, and coincidentally I would meet Jodi for the first time at one of Rob and Lyn's parties early that month, though we didn't start dating until the next March. So much happened in such a condensed period of time, it was like being on the greatest rollercoaster ever made. 2012 was the only year I've had comparable to 04/05 since, but luckily '11 was the only genuine downer of a year, though '13 was pretty weird. '14 has been pretty good so far despite a rocky January, but I would like to get on the road again soon. It's possible. All in all I consider myself to be pretty lucky to have had such a weird life, and much of it has been shaped by the weirdos I've met, partied, laughed, cried, argued with, traveled and supported, and been supported by on here. So yeah, that makes this site pretty important to me, whether that is perceived as a good thing or bad thing.

Hell, you seem to regularly get ticked at me, but I still love ya brother. hahaha I remember us getting that oven/stove and dishwasher in your truck and losing one of the burners on the highway and Jodi being pissed. haha, and then carting that thing up the stairs to my condo. Good times. I don't remember if you were there when we pushed that big one piece oven/stove/microwave combo from the early 80's off the stairs because we couldn't carry it down. Shit was fucking loud as it crashed!

Comment

I also still have this card that Rob and Lyn took up to the weekly Thursday Pappa's Pizza gtg while I was still in the hospital. A lot of old school names on this thing!

Comment

LOL, me and Lyn were there when we shoved that big ass ancient stove down the stairs. No way was I about to try and carry that fucker down!

Great that your sis is doing so well!

Comment

Heard about the cake. Is it suppose to look like something else sideways? Gotta be a good feeling doing something like that to save a life. Sounds like everybody recovered well for a full life.

Comment

So glad you were able to help your sister. Good stuff!
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Wow! That's a pretty awesome thing to do. Do you have to take medications now also? Can you tell you only have one?

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                    Wow! That's a pretty awesome thing to do. Do you have to take medications now also? Can you tell you only have one?
                    He leans to the side where he still has a kidney. The extra weight shifted his posture. Sometimes it gets itchy he said, and when he tries to scratch it, there is nothing to scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      He leans to the side where he still has a kidney. The extra weight shifted his posture. Sometimes it gets itchy he said, and when he tries to scratch it, there is nothing to scratch.
                      Phantom kidney!!!

Comment

Very commendable man.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post

I don't feel any different. After about 6 months the pain was completely gone, but the major pain was gone in about 6-8 weeks, would just get a pang here and there. When I was skinnier, I would just randomly get a pang in that spot sometimes, sort of hard to describe. Maybe it got filled up with fat. lol She takes 7 pills a day now, not including vitamins. I take a minimum 7 pills a day, but it's from a bad wreck I was in in 2001, nothing "health" related so to say.

Off topic. We just went and had dinner at Pappadeaux tonight. Apparently One Direction is playing Cowboy Stadium, and the place was packed with 16 year old girls wearing outfits that would cause Denny to go into a coronary. Stay out of North Arlington if you want to avoid traffic, but if you've got questionable morals, come on down.

Comment

Good outcomes from tough situations are always a welcome read. Great of you to do what you did for your sis.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              Off topic. We just went and had dinner at Pappadeaux tonight. Apparently One Direction is playing Cowboy Stadium, and the place was packed with 16 year old girls wearing outfits that would cause Denny to go into a coronary. Stay out of North Arlington if you want to avoid traffic, but if you've got questionable morals, come on down.
                              So how was the concert?

Comment

Working...
                              X