Career aspirations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
    How many of you here are doing anything where your high school public education benefits you now? Other than math and grammar, any other skill sets you learned in k-12 apply to you today?

I enjoy reading the thoughts and rants of Mike Rowe. He is a huge proponent for teaching our youth trades and skills. A high school education these days doesn't prepare anyone for shit. Why are we not instituting a vocational course of some sort into their curriculum?

Out of ALL the work I have had done on my house, I am 100% confident not a single worker graduated from an American public education. I am not upset about it and not to make this an immigration thing but shouldn't we be producing electricians, plumbers, carpenters, HVAC techs etc? I know that there are vocational schools for this but I think public education is to benefit the public and is an obvious failure at that.

I had unrealistic aspirations when I left the nest at 17. I am reminded even more of them as I go into my 20yr reunion next weekend and as I sit on my couch, unemployed and not sure what the hell I am going to do next.

Sorry to rant.
    In HS I was able to get into advanced math and science classes, had a robotics class, metal fab and wood shop. All helped me quite a bit in my career. The most beneficial was robotics...which got me my first internship at Raytheon.

I do agree the school system is in need of help

Comment

Originally posted by 87t-coupe View Post
      I always wanted to be an engineer growing up but not going to college that was put on hold for now. Im currently working on an oil rig and am busting my ass to one day be a driller and hopefully/eventually be a toolpusher. Don't like the work but I cant argue with the money.
      [B]

Looking to get on a rig somewhere, and I have zero rig experience. Hard work does not bother me and am used to working in extreme environments. If anyone works for a company that is looking and knows of an opening I'd be really appreciative if you put my name in. I won't make you look bad. I can provide a resume and

Comment

I wish to become a CTO or CIO. I also wish to make significant contributions to the fields of data compression and biological engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          How many of you here are doing anything where your high school public education benefits you now? Other than math and grammar, any other skill sets you learned in k-12 apply to you today?

I enjoy reading the thoughts and rants of Mike Rowe. He is a huge proponent for teaching our youth trades and skills. A high school education these days doesn't prepare anyone for shit. Why are we not instituting a vocational course of some sort into their curriculum?

Out of ALL the work I have had done on my house, I am 100% confident not a single worker graduated from an American public education. I am not upset about it and not to make this an immigration thing but shouldn't we be producing electricians, plumbers, carpenters, HVAC techs etc? I know that there are vocational schools for this but I think public education is to benefit the public and is an obvious failure at that.

I had unrealistic aspirations when I left the nest at 17. I am reminded even more of them as I go into my 20yr reunion next weekend and as I sit on my couch, unemployed and not sure what the hell I am going to do next.

Sorry to rant.
          Lol, Mike is coming to my work next wednesday for this exact reason.
          Last edited by Mysticcobrakilla; 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM. Reason: Im a fucktard.

Comment

I met one of my neighbors one day when he had his 31 Model A coupe idling in the drive. I just had to go introduce myself. When he told me what he did, the little boy in me perked up. He said he owns a railroad. Turns out he owns/runs a little railroad in East Texas somewhere around Sulpher Springs. That just sounded like the coolest thing. By looking at his house, he definitely makes the choo choo $$$.

Comment

Are you employed sir?

Employed?

you don't go out to make a living dressed like that in the middle of weekday.

Is this a--what day is this?

But I do work, so if you don't mind--

Comment

Working...
              X