Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with SBC DSL internet experiencing REALLY slow speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with SBC DSL internet experiencing REALLY slow speeds?

WTF?!?! My d/l speed from speakeasy.net to their Dallas server is only like .99 megs down! Normally it's up around 3megs. This is pissing me off and making my job VERY difficult to do from home. (Yes my commute is 15 feet. It actually sucks cause I can't call in sick/weather/etc.) I'm going to call and bitch tomorrow but do I have a leg to stand on?! Do temps this cold adversely affect DSL?!?! I know a bit about electronics and I always thought "the colder the better"..... (BS EET)

/rant.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

When was the last time you rebooted your DSL modem? They will have a tendency to "train down" to a slower speed from time to time. Reboot it and see if it helps. The weather shouldn't adversely affect your speed unless you have some really old crappy tin lines to your house that will contract enough with the cold to cause the NID or pole connections to be affected.
    01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Well, with the rolling black outs.... I guess it was the day before yesterday. I'll give it a shot though. Thanks!
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
        When was the last time you rebooted your DSL modem? They will have a tendency to "train down" to a slower speed from time to time. Reboot it and see if it helps. The weather shouldn't adversely affect your speed unless you have some really old crappy tin lines to your house that will contract enough with the cold to cause the NID or pole connections to be affected.
        I too have SBC DSL and it is going very slow as well.
        I think our house has this issue above.
        What can be done to correct it and any idea of cost?

Comment

well ever since i downgraded from charter to pos att dsl i have the 3mb plan since i got it on any internet speed test i never books faster then .99 mb.
          and it suck you cant watch netflix without skipping like a scratched cd, and the last few days it has clocked even lower, and i mean pathetcly lower

Comment

Interesting.....
            Here's the same test site result to Ft Worth.

I usually use speakeasy.net to Dallas and even it is saying +5megs today. Just as cold but tons faster.... I wonder if they were throttling back due to the black outs....

Comment

I don't know how you stand DSL, ever looked into cable? The slowest speed is 30x faster than what you have now.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have ATT DSL and hate it, always have hated it. A lot of the times that's your only option, but now they have shitty Clear as an option too.

Here, weather affected the internet. If it rained any amount there would be problems like lower speeds, the phone would have static, and whenever someone called the home line the connection would drop.

Turned out that there was a problem with the line that took about 4 temporary fixes and finally a true fix towards the end, when I was without internet at the house for a week and a half. Oh yea, I work from home too...

I've ALWAYS had trouble with ATT DSL at which ever place I've lived.

Fuck. Them.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                  I too have SBC DSL and it is going very slow as well.
                  I think our house has this issue above.
                  What can be done to correct it and any idea of cost?
                  Most of the time, if you complain to the carrier, they will come out and attempt to fix it. It might take a few trips and it certainly helps if you are getting a lot of static and popping on your handset. The carrier is responsible for the line all the up to your NID(box on the exterior wall). You should be able to open your side of the NID and plug in a handset or your DSL modem and test from that point. If the connection is no better, you have eliminated your house wiring as the issue. If the issue is better, it is your dime to fix. The house wiring is always the consumer's responsibility unless you have popped for the internal wiring insurance most carriers try to sell you at the time you order your service.

Comment

i know its pathetic my sprint air card that i carry around is just 3g and gets minum over 1-1.5 download speed, and its portable

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
                      Most of the time, if you complain to the carrier, they will come out and attempt to fix it. It might take a few trips and it certainly helps if you are getting a lot of static and popping on your handset. The carrier is responsible for the line all the up to your NID(box on the exterior wall). You should be able to open your side of the NID and plug in a handset or your DSL modem and test from that point. If the connection is no better, you have eliminated your house wiring as the issue. If the issue is better, it is your dime to fix. The house wiring is always the consumer's responsibility unless you have popped for the internal wiring insurance most carriers try to sell you at the time you order your service.
                      That is exactly what I was going to try next to diagnose inside vs. outside wiring.
                      Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

^^^^ Anytime!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          I don't know how you stand DSL, ever looked into cable? The slowest speed is 30x faster than what you have now.
                          Cable has 150megs?!?!
                          I'm waiting for U-verse to reach my house. I'm literally like 100' too far. Then it's U-verse. I'm just happy that my company pays for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                            Cable has 150megs?!?!
                            I'm waiting for U-verse to reach my house. I'm literally like 100' too far. Then it's U-verse. I'm just happy that my company pays for it.
                            .48 x 30 = 14.4mb/s. But yes, with Docsis 3.0 it can run up to 384mb/s, right now they have it throttled to 50mb/s max.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
                              Cable has 150megs?!?!
                              Call and ask for a iNid (pair bonding) they told us we are offering it again. If you were told you are 100' to far then the iNid will work good.

And anyone else having issues with DSL good luck we have been fighting this issue foe months now and can't get anyone to fix the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X