Bringing a knife to a gunfight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing a knife to a gunfight

What a dumbass. I think I would rather be killed than shot in the groin.

An Army veteran was walking outside with his girlfriend near his home in Philadelphia on Sunday when all of a sudden a man threatened the couple with a 13-inch knife. The criminal didn’t know he had several factors working against him.

Firstly, his would-be “victim,” William Lawler, 38, is an Army veteran who retired as a lieutenant after serving for over a decade. That’s strike one. Secondly, he’s a longtime firearms instructor with a license to carry a concealed 9mm Glock. That’s strike two.

However, the failed robber was the one who struck himself out by refusing to listen to the “half-dozen” warnings the veteran gave him. Lawler also immediately drew his firearm as soon as the man started cursing at him and his girlfriend, and that didn’t deter him either.

“At least a half-dozen times, I ordered him to stop,” Lawler told the Philadelphia Daily News.

He ultimately issued one final, nine-word warning: “I don’t want to shoot you, but I will.”

But the seemingly clueless suspect instead walked towards the veteran and his girlfriend.

“I’ll cut you up,” he reportedly threatened.

He wouldn’t even get close as Lawler fired one round into the suspect’s groin when he got within 5 or 6 feet.

“My intent was to stop him, not kill him. I hope he’s OK, and hopefully he will be prosecuted,” Lawler said.

Police later arrested and identified the suspect as Dondi DeCosta, 37. He was treated for the gunshot wound at Aria Health’s Torresdale hospital, where he remained in critical condition on Wednesday, according to police.

DeCosta has an extensive rap sheet and has been arrested 21 times on charges like assault and theft. He will face yet another charge of aggravated assault and other possible charges for his run-in with the Army veteran.

After reviewing the surveillance video, law enforcement officials said Lawler tried to avoid a confrontation before he made the decision to shoot DeCosta.

“I firmly believe that in order to maintain a free society, people need to take personal safety into their own hands,” Lawler told the Philadelphia Daily News. “You should walk around ready and able to protect yourself and others in your community.”

Give him an award.

Comment

21 times?. System failed execute or send him to an island.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
        no its Philadelphia

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post

There's probably an inmate that got caught with half a joint taking his place inside.

Comment

:golf clap:

Comment

what a dumb ass... just kill the mother fucker.

now he's going to get sued or charged with some BS, and the POS criminal remains a POS criminal and an eternal drain on the system
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

If you knew what this guys criminal history looked like going into this situation does that cause you to aim a little higher?

Comment

The old phrase, "A dead man tells no tales" comes to mind after reading this.

Comment

Good job on the veterans part, but piss poor job on the part of the writer.
                    Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    ...when all of a sudden a man threatened the couple with a 13-inch knife.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      If you knew what this guys criminal history looked like going into this situation does that cause you to aim a little higher?
                      Why do you think Cops shoot unarmed black people?

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                        no its filthadelphia
                        Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by robray5.0 View Post
                          Fixed
                          I havent been, I know its gots some major crime problems, but is it that dirty as well?
                          Last edited by John -- '02 HAWK; 10-19-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

He's s moron for not observing the 21' rule.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                              I havent been, I know its gots some major crime problems, but is it that dirty as well?
                              In parts, yes. In the Historical parts and north Philly, it's actually a pretty cool city with lots to do and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X