Cannabis in Texas 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannabis in Texas 2015

No way Texans are going to let this happen, right?

Come January, Texas legislators will have at least three mellow bills on their docket.

Thanks to Heather Fazio and her team at the Texas chapter of the Marijuana Policy Project, three separate cannabis reform bills – representing three degrees of progress away from present-day Drug War policies – will be pre-filed in Austin for the beginning of the 84th Legislative Session of the Lone Star State. Because the Texas legislature meets only once every two years, the upcoming session will represent the only chance to pass major reform before 2017.

The three bills, which are succinctly summarized at Houston Press, offer three basic options: decriminalization, medical reform, or adult-use legalization.

The “Civil Penalty” bill would reduce the penalty for possession of less than one ounce of cannabis to a $100 fine and would result in no criminal record or prejudicial treatment for future employment or educational opportunities.

The “Medical Marijuana” bill would shield patients with qualifying conditions from arrest for possession of up to 2.5 ounces and would authorize dispensaries.

Finally, the “Free Market” bill – so named, presumably, because of traditional Texan distaste for both taxes and regulations – would treat cannabis in a way similar to alcohol, authorizing sales to adults 21 and over but maintaing DUI prohibitions on the books. Presumably, Texan counties which have voted to remain “dry” jurisdictions free of alcohol sales could do the same for cannabis sales as well.

The idea of legal cannabis sales in the Lone Star State may seem far-fetched, but polls show Texas voters are ready for a change: recently, 58% of Texans reported they were in favor of medical cannabis reform, while 61% favored decriminalization.
    Big Rooster Racing
    1985 Mustang GT

never smoked weed in my life, but I 100% support the legalization of it. free da weed!!!

Comment

Decriminalize it, but I am against treating it like alcohol. Stoned drivers are no more of a concern than folks on their phones, and testing for intoxication is anything but accurate.

Medical is just a step under full legalization, so I'd vote for it all the way if given the choice, but decriminalization is a no-brainer.

Comment

I don't smoke it (some say I should) but I am all for allowing adults who want to smoke it or eat it to have at it. No laws on the books against it, no penalties and no regulation. If you want to grow it in your backyard like growing cotton, have at.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

If the republicans are smart they'll legalize it so it doesn't become a ballot initiative.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            If the republicans are smart they'll legalize it so it doesn't become a ballot initiative.
            Republicans acting progressively to cast a red herring to the side? One can wish.

I could use the immediate relaxation of weed.

Comment

Still can't smoke while working for Choo Choo

Comment

Pass that shit!
                Originally posted by talisman
                I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                Originally posted by AdamLX
                If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                Because fuck you, that's why
                Originally posted by 80coupe
                nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                Originally posted by Rick Modena
                ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I have a feeling TX will be the last state in America to pass it. Too many blue hairs.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

They just need to decriminalize from what I've read, so many non violent people crowding our prisons, for a plant.
                    Big Rooster Racing
                    1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I have a feeling TX will be the last state in America to pass it. Too many blue hairs.
                      No way, there's much more in the bible belt that i believe will hold out longer than texas. it wont be about the blue hairs, it'll be about the money saved + money generated.

Comment

I think if it goes to public vote it will squeak bye.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                          never smoked weed in my life, but I 100% support the legalization of it. free da weed!!!
                          I would start my own business like in CO in a heartbeat.

Comment

I'm still in the "wait and see" mode as to how things go with CO and WA. I think it is too early yet to fully comprehend all the repercussions. I'm not on board with all the candies and drinks and treats. As a parent, they just don't set well with me and how they are marketed. My opinions have changed over the years. I think it should be decriminalized, but I think it needs to be regulated to some extent. However; I think it is criminal that they want to prosecute people, and parents especially that have truly found medicinal miracles that are working, but are not approved by the FDA. I think any medicinal claims could just as well be regulated the way anything you'd buy at GNC or homeopathic stores.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                              I think if it goes to public vote it will squeak bye.
                              Squeak "Bye!"

Or

Squeak by

Comment

Working...
                              X