Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice....home a/c and botched repair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice....home a/c and botched repair...

So, in September, the ac on my home started to not cool. I called the home warranty company (since it came with the purchase of the house) and told them the unit was a solid block of ice.

In mid September, After the first company sent out failed to properly diagnose the problem, I called the home warranty company again and said I needed a different service company to come out.

I was informed that the contract had run out. I argued my case on the first company's attempt and was granted a service call by a different company.

This 2nd company promptly diagnoses the problem to be a leak at the TXV (expansion valve). The home warranty covers the replacement of the TXV and we are off to keeping cool.

3 weeks later the ac condensing unit is not running. I walk over and notice there is a rest button on the unit. I push it and it starts up. I reason with myself that it was just a fluke since the house is cooling and all seems well.

The weather turns cool and the unit is not being used. Now the cold set in and we turn on the unit (it's a heat pump btw).

The unit is tripping that little reset again. This time (since I am out of home warranty coverage) I call the company I have been using for the last 15 years.

The tech comes out and asks "Who replaced the TXV and didn't replace the dryer?"

I tell him of the warranty company situation and how they approved the TXV.

To which he replies, "it's pretty standard procedure to replace the dryer anytime the system is opened and a replaced TXV is done. I recommend calling the other company and find out why they didn't replace the dryer and tell them the restriction there is causing your unit to malfunction."

This repair will run me about $800 to $2000 depending on where I get the freon (that's a different story).

I called the company that did the repair and he assured me that his technician did the right thing. Dryers only have to be replace if they are outside the unit and since mine is located inside there was no need to replace the dryer.

He says his companies obligation is complete and is not willing to do the repair at no charge to me.

I don't know enough about a/c systems to know if I should take them to small claims court or not.

What do you guys think?

I'm surprised you had that much luck with the home warranty company... they generally use the lowest priced (and skilled) techs/companies to perform service calls/repairs and results are many times temporary or non-existent.

Call a real A/C place and have them repair it and be done.

Small claims court is a waste of time...

mardyn

Comment

The general rule is if the system is opened for any reason, the dryer should be changed. (Especially if there are any TXV problems)

Comment

Sounds like warranty company gave the companies a limit that they could not exceed and it did not fit with the cost of a dryer.

Comment

84 HotAir is right. I bet they system had been opened before and had a moisture restriction problem from the start. It does not take much moisture to cause a problem.

Comment

I have American Home Shield and they have been pretty good. The only time I had an issue was when I hired Lowes to install my AC system and they got Willard A/C out of Forney to do it. That was a cluster fuck and to avoid taking over the thread, I just screamed at different people.

I would go with AHS, wait a bit and call them to fix it.
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

If the TXV was replaced on the indoor coil they probably pumped the unit down and closed the valves. Replaced the TXV, pulled a vauum , and opened the valves back up. If so, as long as the drier is inside the condenser there is no need to change it. If the drier is external of the condenser then yes it should have been changed. Hope this helps.

Comment

That explains it.

Comment

Originally posted by dvups1 View Post
                  So, in September, the ac on my home started to not cool. I called the home warranty company (since it came with the purchase of the house) and told them the unit was a solid block of ice.

In mid September, After the first company sent out failed to properly diagnose the problem, I called the home warranty company again and said I needed a different service company to come out.

I was informed that the contract had run out. I argued my case on the first company's attempt and was granted a service call by a different company.

This 2nd company promptly diagnoses the problem to be a leak at the TXV (expansion valve). The home warranty covers the replacement of the TXV and we are off to keeping cool.

3 weeks later the ac condensing unit is not running. I walk over and notice there is a rest button on the unit. I push it and it starts up. I reason with myself that it was just a fluke since the house is cooling and all seems well.

The weather turns cool and the unit is not being used. Now the cold set in and we turn on the unit (it's a heat pump btw).

The unit is tripping that little reset again. This time (since I am out of home warranty coverage) I call the company I have been using for the last 15 years.

The tech comes out and asks "Who replaced the TXV and didn't replace the dryer?"

I tell him of the warranty company situation and how they approved the TXV.

To which he replies, "it's pretty standard procedure to replace the dryer anytime the system is opened and a replaced TXV is done. I recommend calling the other company and find out why they didn't replace the dryer and tell them the restriction there is causing your unit to malfunction."

This repair will run me about $800 to $2000 depending on where I get the freon (that's a different story).

I called the company that did the repair and he assured me that his technician did the right thing. Dryers only have to be replace if they are outside the unit and since mine is located inside there was no need to replace the dryer.

He says his companies obligation is complete and is not willing to do the repair at no charge to me.

I don't know enough about a/c systems to know if I should take them to small claims court or not.

What do you guys think?
                  Don't start with "So..."

Comment

I'll put another vote in for American Home Shield. Been with them since we bought this house in '05 and they have always come through for me. I've had the a/c system serviced twice in that time, the heater unit (gas) replaced, the water heater replaced and the garage door replaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X