Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas cops breaking into cars "to stop people from breaking into cars."

I dont even know what to say.

According to Rosenberg police, it’s the season for theft and stealing.

“Burglars are always watching, waiting for that chance to make the right move,” Officer Tim Kraus tells KHOU.

“They want easy targets,” says Asst. Chief Tracie Dunn.

So the solution that Rosenberg police have come up with to deal with this theft is to patrol shopping center parking lots and attempt to get inside privately owned vehicles.

“You can see all this stuff back there, it’s easy for someone to smash the window and grab it. Right here, I can get my hand in and open the door. We want to stop stuff like this,” as he reaches into a locked car and opens the door, setting off the alarm.

After the officers attempt to break into these vehicles, they are leaving little green report cards on how the car could have been more secure.

“People are spending a lot of money, money we earned, so we don’t want it taken from us,” said Jenny, a local shopper. “It’s nice to know they’re looking out for us.”

If the history of police wasn’t rife with theft and a constantly expanding myriad of techniques to separate the citizen from their money, one may actually think that the Rosenberg police department are actually doing some decent community outreach here. Unfortunately police departments nationwide have less than perfect track records when it comes to actually looking out for the wellbeing of the individual.

This theft grading system will most likely morph into one of the many novel ways police will violate our 4th Amendment rights.

What if an officer opens a door and smells a little marijuana? What do you think they would do then, shut the door and move on? What if the person has an expired inspection sticker? What if the person has bumper stickers that disagree with the officer’s personal beliefs?

The room for abuse is limitless.

According to the Rosenberg police, the program is already working, as they claim to have seen a drop into vehicles being left unlocked. But is this alleged drop due to people worrying about thieves, or is it do to people worrying about police snooping through their belongings?

Read more at http://www.punkrocklibertarians.com/...L2PgrwfZLhg.99

Not to mention, the little green report cards just tell anyone who sees this article in Rosenberg, exactly which cars they can target. Might as well slap windshield banners on them saying "I'm unlocked!"
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'm going to wait on the lawsuit for police illegally entering a vehicle without warrant or probable cause of a crime.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        I'm going to wait on the lawsuit for police illegally entering a vehicle without warrant or probable cause of a crime.
        Exigent circumstances.

Comment

Castle doctrine?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            Exigent circumstances.
            Not even close to fitting the definition. No emergency, no fear of destruction of evidence, etc. Good luck proving that one in court.

Comment

Maybe it's the cops walking around parking lots (While handing out report cards) that is reducing theft as well? Instead of sitting around looking for speeders or whatever it is they do all day long.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Not even close to fitting the definition. No emergency, no fear of destruction of evidence, etc. Good luck proving that one in court.
                There is a legitimate fear a crime will soon be committed.

Comment

Yes, and they are the one committing it.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

That's a really, really big stretch.

Comment

Working...
                    X