And there was much rejoicing in the land.... Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
    Out of all of the people here defending big oil, how many of you work in that field? Or have worked there in the past, or have family working in it?

Everyone defends their job. I am the first guy to scream at Tesla wanting to sell cars direct, because it influences my business. Just like the LEO's in here defend law enforcement practices.

In 2013, Exxon's CEO made 28.1 million and the company itself made 32.6 billion. Thats one guy and one oil company, so don't sit back and preach about how they're driving the economy, they're driving money into their own pockets. I'm not saying that they don't help and influence the economy, but they can do the same thing at a slightly lower profit margin.
    They won't do it at a lower profit margin, they'll just cancel projects and fire people. Which is what people are saying in this thread. Rex Tillerson will make a few million less next year. Big deal. More importantly, the 7,000 people that Exxon will lay off will go from six figure jobs to ones saying "do you want fries with that?". How do you think that is going to affect the car business?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Conoco Phillips cuts capital spending for 2015 by 20% to $13.5 billion:

What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Let's all buy more gas on Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          They won't do it at a lower profit margin, they'll just cancel projects and fire people. Which is what people are saying in this thread. Rex Tillerson will make a few million less next year. Big deal. More importantly, the 7,000 people that Exxon will lay off will go from six figure jobs to ones saying "do you want fries with that?". How do you think that is going to affect the car business?

http://www.businessinsider.com/conoc...-costs-2014-12
          Don't forget BP cutting a billion bucks worth of yobs.

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
            You could say the same thing about almost any industry in regards to ceo pay and company profits, that is a shitty argument. If that's all you have, that and average joe saving 10 bucks a tank, you don't really understand how huge this industry is and how it effects the economy, especially the economy in texas.
            No, my main point was that people will defend their jobs on the internet. Gas is basically $1 a gallon cheaper than it was in the summer, so that 10 bucks per tank is total fucking bullshit, more like $20 a tank. I fill up twice a week, thats $160 extra a month, nearly $2k a year. That ain't chump change.

Precisely, it's greed and the guys that work in that industry don't seem to notice that. You honestly think that giving 7K people 6 figure salaries justifies raping everyone else? Actually getting more people into minimum wage jobs would improve my sales since I sell older vehicles. Being in business for 4 years now, I have sold to one oil worker.

Comment

In 2013, Exxon's CEO made 28.1 million and the company itself made 32.6 billion. Thats one guy and one oil company, so don't sit back and preach about how they're driving the economy, they're driving money into their own pockets. I'm not saying that they don't help and influence the economy, but they can do the same thing at a slightly lower profit margin.

I've read their profit margins are in the single digits. I tend to think there's truth in that, because you only hear people complain about the billions in profits made, but people don't realize the sheer volume of product. If they're really averaging single digit margins, you really can't expect them to do it for less. That's nonsense.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Meanwhile in Canada, America's evil cheap gas is killing Canadians:

The Weather Channel, InsideClimate News and the Investigative Fund investigate the regulatory response to oil train explosions this year. - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Comment

http://www.businessinsider.com/conoc...-costs-2014-12
                  Capital Spending across most major airlines is up with big projects across a wide spectrum of fields.

Now that Apple finally has a large smartphone, it's venturing into places that were previously off-limits. Case in point: United has announced that all of its 23,000 "mainline" flight attendants will get the iPhone 6 Plus in the second quarter of 2015. Staff will initially use the supersized handset to check email and manuals (typically on the ground) as well as handle your mid-flight headphone and snack purchases. The airline isn't stopping there, however. Future upgrades will let crews report cabin problems, and there are promises of more "customer-focused tools" to help you out. United isn't the first American carrier to use giant phones in the air, but its iPhone plans could still do a lot to make your next flight go smoothly.

Comment

Precisely, it's greed and the guys that work in that industry don't seem to notice that. You honestly think that giving 7K people 6 figure salaries justifies raping everyone else? Actually getting more people into minimum wage jobs would improve my sales since I sell older vehicles. Being in business for 4 years now, I have sold to one oil worker.
                    I get it, Exxon is greedy because they employee thousands of people. They shouldn't do that though because you need more minimum wage customers for your car lot. No offense but it seems like there might be some greed on your part in that gameplan.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I've read their profit margins are in the single digits. I tend to think there's truth in that, because you only hear people complain about the billions in profits made, but people don't realize the sheer volume of product. If they're really averaging single digit margins, you really can't expect them to do it for less. That's nonsense.
                      It is a liberal talking point. If Exxon makes $.03 on a gallon of gas it is an outrage. Meanwhile the government taxes it for $.30 a gallon and Apple makes ~20% on an IPhone and no one gives a shit.

Comment

It is a liberal talking point. If Exxon makes $.03 on a gallon of gas it is an outrage. Meanwhile the government taxes it for $.30 a gallon and Apple makes ~20% on an IPhone and no one gives a shit.
                        Can't argue with any of that. I still say spending is nuts, though.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Can't argue with any of that. I still say spending is nuts, though.
                          If you think it is nuts now, wait until oil is $150 a barrel and they start drilling into the middle of the oceans to get it.

Comment

Tim Cook only make $40 MM a year!
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Does this mean I won't have to see so many of those stupid fucking "oilfield wife " and "real oilfield housewives" bumper stickers?

WIN

Comment

The profit margins are roughly 7%, but thats after all expenses. The insane employee salaries are part of expenses.

I get it, Exxon is greedy because they employee thousands of people. They shouldn't do that though because you need more minimum wage customers for your car lot. No offense but it seems like there might be some greed on your part in that gameplan.
                                Nope, they're greedy because they will do whatever it takes to continue the record profits, including laying off workers. The minimum wage was mostly a joke. The type of car that I deal in is the older, higher mileage vehicle. Most people making 6 figure salaries will buy new, which isn't what I deal in.

Comment

Working...
                                X