Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
    It's just a battery.
    It's one of the main reasons people haven't shifted to alternative energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
      It's just a battery.
      eh, if it's a VIABLE battery, it's a game changer...
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        This is somewhat directed to you since you see the industry from a higher level than I do (Most days my concerns are rig counts, build schedules, etc. You're in it for the long(er) term with investments and things) but I know others will have opinions and insight also.

When does the world stop being so dependent on oil and gas and transition into renewables? Will it happen before a forcing event? Do things like the new Tesla home power-pack battery thing have the power to change the world in the next 10 years? Are we just one good power storage technology jump away from dinofuel being obsoleted?

Or do we pump this bitch dry then try to pick up the pieces?
        History repeats itself. Look at the turn of the century/industrial revolution, Standard Oil was raking in the cash since everyone used Kerosene to light and heat their homes and businesses. It wasn't until Edison/JP Morgan and Nikola Tesla/George Westinghouse decided to throw money at electricity to take kerosene's place that a change happened.

James Carter: "Lee, let me introduce you to Carter's new theory of criminal investigation: follow the rich white man."
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Right. This is just the intro model. You know it's going to be smaller and even more efficient as the newer variations come out. More uses, like stand-alone vehicle packs that fit inside the roof. Small enough to carry on one soldier to power his team's needs in remote locations on a mission. Cheap enough to power small villages that could never get it before.

He used a good example in the video about the polar shift from land lines to cellular phones. This could very well be it.

Comment

• There have been batteries for solar for a long time. Tesla made them prettier. Its like the apple for the energy world...it is not a good value right Now.

If you were to use a tesla pack, you would need at least 3 in texas or greatly change your usage habits. I wiuld need at least 5 to keep my same habits. The batteries only produce 2kW continuous...that means you cant even heat up your breakfast while the wife is blow drying her hair. if you want to run an AC...dedicate 2 tesla power packs. Its still a ways off, and not even close to feasible for the masses.

Renewables are making an impact however, but its got little to do with the tesla power pack. I think LNG is actually going to help the industry, while coal will suffer the most.

Comment

• Battery chemistry has to change...not pretty packaging.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Battery chemistry has to change...not pretty packaging.
                I'm not into it technically as some, but I thought this was a drastic change from the stacks of car battery-like collection systems already in use. I have seen some home set-ups and it is nothing close to a repackaged power pack.

Comment

• When we met with a solar company in Arizona last year they were talking about the cost to produce solar energy vs stuff like oil and coal. At that time they said the difference in cost was 10-25x more expensive and without subsidies could not survive. He estimated another 10-15 years to even get close in cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    I'm not into it technically as some, but I thought this was a drastic change from the stacks of car battery-like collection systems already in use. I have seen some home set-ups and it is nothing close to a repackaged power pack.
                    No not really. I would guess its more algorithm and software that make it extend useable life.

I believe its just the same cells as the vehicles, but packaged for home Use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      Btw i misread you at first...this battery is like a tesla car battery, but youre correct that its not old lead acids or anything.

Comment

No not really. I would guess its more algorithm and software that make it extend useable life.

I believe its just the same cells as the vehicles, but packaged for home Use.
                        Even then, attention and interest have shifted. I remember my uncle carrying what looked like a purse, but it was really just a shitty mobile phone that never seemed to work.

Comment

• I agree...change is a commin! But electricity is more of a currency for different energy sources so it allows the energy portfolio to be more diversified.

If it werent for massivr government subsidies, none of it would exist. Not evem ethanol.

Also, those of us that use batteries in our designs kind of joke about the fact that the next battery technology is perpetually just a few years away. be very skeptical of any new battery tech that hasnt been proven yet.

Comment

Battery chemistry has to change...not pretty packaging.
                            They already know the battery to develop. Its called the lithium air battery. Its just no one has put up the cash to get it all sorted out yet. It would have vents in it, as it would need to be exposed to oxygen. But its 15x better than a lithium ion battery. You could go thousands of miles on one charge, vs 300 miles on li-ion

And nobody seems interested in developing it lol
                            WH

Comment

• You have to look at he long term effects of lithium ion as well, not cost effective to recycle and if I remember correctly most batteries contain expensive metals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                                They already know the battery to develop. Its called the lithium air battery. Its just no one has put up the cash to get it all sorted out yet. It would have vents in it, as it would need to be exposed to oxygen. But its 15x better than a lithium ion battery. You could go thousands of miles on one charge, vs 300 miles on li-ion

And nobody seems interested in developing it lol
                                Trust me...a lot of people know a lot better. If they already knew the money would already be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X