House Electricity Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Electricity Question.

Does anyone know the answer to this. Does it cost more to turn on a light and turn it off vs. letting it stay on a while? A friend is trying to tell me the electric company told her the initial charging up the bulb is what cost the most. I thought it was more based on bulb watts and how long you leave it on for.

If you're arguing with the old lady, just concede and have sex. I would think not using your lights over a long time span is better than using them regardless.

Comment

Probably based on old fluorescent lights. I remember our electrician saying that it takes 8 hrs of electricity in runtime to start them, so leave them on unless you'll be gone more than 8 hrs. That type of ballast isn't used anymore I'm told.
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

It always cost more to leave them on. Just like the old guy that leaves his diesel running thinking it takes more to start it that leave it running.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

It is bad for electric motors to cut on and off though.
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

What kind of light?

Incandescents are horribly inefficient (something like 10%) so no matter what you should turn those off when you don't need them.

Fluorescent, CFL, LED, etc... I'll let someone else jump in.

Comment

Didn't Myth busters do a show on this???

Yup

Comment

Working...
              X