Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a smaller hitchball than 1 7/8"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a smaller hitchball than 1 7/8"?

I have a chance on a tiny boat but my 1 7/8" hitchball was too large. What is the next smaller size?

Not sure there is: http://www.reesehitches.com/product_...er_hitch_balls

Maybe the locking mechanism on the trailer is goofed, not allowing the ball to fit as it should?

Comment

1 7/8" is the smallest I've ever seen. Maybe check at Tractor Supply or a Truck Parts place. It must be really old if it's any smaller than that.

Take a flat bed trailer and winch the boat and trailer up onto your flat bed, then you can take it somewhere and figure out what it needs.
      Carl S.
      2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
      80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
      9.32@128 pedaling it half track
      sigpic

Comment

So you're saying there's a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post

Maybe the locking mechanism on the trailer is goofed, not allowing the ball to fit as it should?
          Thats what I would think.

Comment

Maybe an at or lawn/garden hitch?

Comment

I betcha its a vintage hitch.

The military used a trailer ball smaller than 1-7/8, somewhere around 1-1/2, on utility trailers made to pull behind Jeeps in WWII

Might need to look at a converter and just hack it on

Comment

The lock was completely free, my ball was just so big, it didn't feel like it had any chance of fitting in. Seemed like maybe 1/8" too big.

I had been on Reese and other googling so far not bringing up anything smaller than a 1 7/8".

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Maybe an at or lawn/garden hitch?
                  I almost said the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    The lock was completely free, my ball was just so big, it didn't feel like it had any chance of fitting in. Seemed like maybe 1/8" too big.

I had been on Reese and other googling so far not bringing up anything smaller than a 1 7/8".
                    Haha...pun intended?

Time to show what your generation is made of and get to welding!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

Does the person you're getting it from not have a ball that fits? If so, have them throw that in. Otherwise, looks like you may just need to do as White90 / Binky suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                        I betcha its a vintage hitch.

The military used a trailer ball smaller than 1-7/8, somewhere around 1-1/2, on utility trailers made to pull behind Jeeps in WWII

Might need to look at a converter and just hack it on

The military, taking common things that are readily available and saying "Nope!"

Comment

I almost said the same.
                          Last I checked, they just have different shank sizes. I use my garden tractor to tote my trailers around the yard and that's what I noticed.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            Last I checked, they just have different shank sizes. I use my garden tractor to tote my trailers around the yard and that's what I noticed.
                            And.... That's why I didn't post it. I know nothing about those.

Comment

And.... That's why I didn't post it. I know nothing about those.
                              I don't either, but I'll pretend like I do.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X