Pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots?

Thinking of going the pilot route, specifically rotary wing, and just curious how the pilots on here like it? What is the curriculum like? How hard is it to get hired as a nugget pilot with low hours?

good luck... its expensive and doesnt pay shit for years

Comment

From what little i know, there are two financially viable ways of being a pilot :

1) Start early while in high school building your flight hours and getting certified for single engine then mulit-engine aircraft and moving on up, either through air frieght companies or regional jets to get to the big boys. Expect lower pay than route 2.
      2) Join the Air Force/Navy , go through OCS and have them train you and get paid doing it. Leave military after putting in your 20 years for federal pension, join a major airline, and get paid bank.

*whoops, didnt see you wanted to go rotary wing. The routes are even more difficult because there are much fewer jobs and plenty of eager pilots with thousands of flight hours to compete for the jobs. Getting your WO and scoring high on your flight aptitude tests is a good route.
      Last edited by 32vfromhell; 01-12-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Pilots?

Good luck. My understanding is the market is saturated with pilots and not enough planes. And for the most part, it's all shit pay. Helicopters are even fewer

Comment

Or, screw the navy and air force.
          Be a CW in the Army and fly shinooks or blackhawks!
          Detailing by Dylan
          817-494-3396
          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

The GI Bill would cover my flight school expenses, so the cost for my commercial license isn't an issue. I Am concerned with the after part. From what I've gathered jobs seem slim. Almost seems best to open your own business with your own bird.

Yeah I'm going to drop a WO package with the Army, but I'm not hinging on that and I aint getting younger.

Tarrant County College just started a Professional Pilot curriculum at their alliance airfield campus and I'm thinking about going that route. They start you with your private pilot license and its 100% covered by the VA

Comment

Take as many business classes as you can, and learn to write a business plan. With any skill-based business, you need to have the chops to plant your own flag, if need be, and there's no shortcut to business experience.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Dlachance View Post
                what is this shinook you speak of?

Comment

My old college roommate flies C130s for the Wyoming air guard and just got back from Asscrackistan. He routinely does firefighting for the guard when he is here in the states. He has been interviewed on CNN about the firefighting and is a Captain. Obviously it doesn't pay all that much but he loves it.

I have another very good friend who has been doing it for 15 years. He started out at TSTC getting his instrument rating and all that other shit. His first job paid something like $18K a year. His first twin engine job was flying freight for a company in Denton and it paid about $28K. He is now a pilot of a Bombardier private jet for one of those timeshare jet companies and makes about $130K. His job sucks though because he will be gone for days at a time and has no clue where he is going. He has been trying to get on with a major airline for years with little success and he has the Mexican card to play.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I think you have to love the job because very few make that big money you hear about.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    what is this shinook you speak of?
                    i lolz'd a bit too.

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

What is doesn't pay that much
                      Last edited by lincolnboy; 01-13-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I've been employed as a helicopter pilot for the last 6 years.

The typical path is to acquire private, then instrument, commercial, and Instructor ratings. (The instrument can be optional, but it makes you more employable.)

Once you're an instructor, find a job at a flight school. Instruct until you have 1000-1500 hrs.

Get hired on in the Gulf, flying to offshore oil rigs, or a tour operator (think Grand Canyon, Vegas, MAYBE Hawaii) Do this until you have 2000ish hrs. total time, and 1000 or so turbine helicopter time.

Now you can start looking in the EMS, Law Enforcement, news industries, etc. It might be a while before you find exactly what you want, but good things come to those who wait.

The downside is it is EXPENSIVE to learn to fly, and you will not make much money until you get past the instructor stage. Even then, its not airline pilot money. You will likely have to move to find jobs.

The upside? You GET to go to work! This is the most fun you'll ever have. It gets better every day. I've been a helicopter mechanic for over 20 years, thought I had it made. Never thought I'd be able to fly for a living. Definitely glad I made the commitment.

The curriculum can be a little difficult, but if someone like me can do it, anyone can.

Let me know if you want any more info. I'd be glad to help if I can.

As far as job availability, you just need to be willing to move. The jobs are out there, and getting better every day. Helicopters are being used for more and more jobs, and the largest pool of pilots is still the Vietnam Vets. They are getting older by the day, and retiring all the time. As these positions open up, the job market gets better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                          What is doesn't pay that much
                          A few years ago when I looked into it, it was payin $12/hr flying freight as entry level. You need a hookup or lots of experience to really get decent commercial jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dlachance View Post
                            Chinook..

Shit-hook would also be acceptable.

Comment

I work on them, after seeing how fragile they are I don't want to fly in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X