Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New energy plant coming to Van Alstyne...should I be worried? Smart people, inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Wrap your mind around that.

And it will help prevent brownouts and rolling blackouts.

tl;dr - just let 'em go man.
    Awesome stuff....I think my level of intelligence just spiked after reading that. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as my imagination was making it.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    Also, no.

$200,000,000 > your opinion
    I read that same article. I've learned long ago that you can rarely stop something with that much money unless you have an equal or greater amount of money.

I know the numbers aren't finalized and may or may not be publicized but this kind of revenue would be good for the schools.

"The plant would be a $200,000,000 facility, meaning the County would receive $500,000 per year in property taxes, Whitmire said. He added that Van Alstyne ISD would receive even more tax money than that.

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    I'm on the other side of VA so not real stressed about it. I'd be pissy too if it was in my back yard. I do not blame folks for that, it's human. However, reality is it's going to go where they want to put it.
    That's pretty much the side we think we'll end up on so I wasn't really worried about it...but yeah, I'm sure the folks near that site are pissed.
    Last edited by GeorgeG.; 01-13-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

NIMBY! It's always helpful to research things and not go on sensationalized pieces. Thanks for dropping some science, Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        id be more worried about living next to Cavender Motors.

god bless.
        Yeah no shit. Although the good news is you won't have to travel too far to retrieve your stolen car. Hopefully you get there quick enough to grab it before Matt repaints it, retitles it, and sells it to someone.

Comment

Wait a sec.. is this a natural gas plant? If so, WTF is the problem? Or does "gas fired" mean something else?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            I'm on the other side of VA so not real stressed about it. I'd be pissy too if it was in my back yard. I do not blame folks for that, it's human. However, reality is it's going to go where they want to put it.
            The wife and I were discussing how a couple of months ago, considered a couple of houses right off of Ballard and Willie Vestor!!! Thankfully we didn't like them...at the time we didn't even know about the energy center plans. We would have been livid!

Beavis, yeah, it's a NG plant. I think the biggest problem is the uninformed. People on FB mention air contaminates, volatile pollutants and such. I think a lot of people, myself included until now, just wasn't aware of what that equated to. Other than the nearby eye sore, I'm not against it.

Comment

Working...
            X