Suggestions for a camping location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    We've gone to Tyler SP once, and it was a beautiful spot, but we ended up having to move when a huge boy scout troop rolled in at about 10PM and were up making a shitload of noise at the crack of dawn. We were able to move to a quieter spot, but less optimal as far as treee coverage, which is important to me. I would always prefer to be under the tree canopy rather than out in the open.

After our Colorado trips it has been hard to get motivated to stay at any of the local SP's, but I have been itching to try out the Grasslands that Jluv has mentioned. I hope to have my new tent in before too long, which will allow me to complete my trailer and start getting out more often locally.

I really want to get down to Big Bend for some of the dispersed camping, but that window does not stay open long as I will not get near it during the warmer months.
    I second most of your thoughts. Tyler is a nice park, but is usually pretty crowded. There are a few sites that are secluded, but you have to be there early to get them. I made the switch to camping on private land and REALLY have a hard time staying at State Parks now. I did recently go to Lake Tawakoni State Park after a few year hiatus from SP's, and it wasn't too bad. I took the family, and my wife isn't in to "roughing" it.

I'd really like to go to Big Bend as well ... one of these days!
    DamonH

Comment

I use to like Grapevine lake back in the day. You're not really getting out of the city, but your far enough for a little R&R.

Comment

We went days without seeing people in Big Bend

Comment

Beavers bend is oklahoma is a very nice place.

Comment

Camp Crystal Lake is a really neat place.

Comment

Jose -
              Did you check out any sites this weekend ?

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                Jose -
                Did you check out any sites this weekend ?
                So my plans were to go check out Cooper Lake and Lake Bob Sandlin but I didn't go last weekend because it was still muddy from the rain earlier that week. I really wanted to get out and maybe hike one of the trails but usually they have those closed until it dries up some plus I didn't want to track mud back into my truck so I put it off until this weekend. Now it's looking like rain is in the forecast for this weekend

Comment

Bob sandlin lake is very nice..as far as the lake goes. Its where we go mostly in the summer for wakeboarding. Ive never camped there so cant help in that aspect. Last year the lake was only about 6 fr low if i remember correctly. And we've had a pretty wet winter so it is probably close to full now.

Edit: it is 1.6ft from being at full level as of yesterday's recordings.

Comment

Never got around to updating this thread but I hit up both Bob Sandlin and Cooper Lake a few weeks back. Between the two, I really liked the State Park at Bob Sandlin. Nice clean restrooms (hey, I can't stand camping at a park with a filthy restroom) and real nice campsites. Lot of the camp sites were already taken so I couldn't really walk around much. The one water front campsite I checked out kinda sucked as far as the water access. From what I could see, almost all of the water front campsites where the same with a small beach access that was muddy and had lots of vegetation anywhere near the water.

So I drove around and found the area of the park with the enclosed shelters and it was completely empty. Again I really liked all of the camp sites. Lots of woods but again the access to the lake was bad.

After that I made the trek to Cooper Lake State Park. I don't know if I was just tired from all the driving and a little cranky but I didn't really like this park. It was nice enough I guess but none of the campsite really stood out to me. I got out and checked a few of them out and was surprised about the water access. It was completely different from Bob Sandlin which had the small beach access to the lake. Cooper Lake had a long walk through a high grassy area to a completely wide open beach.

My friends and I have already decided to hit up Possum Kingdom Lake this time but I'd like to hit up Bob Sandlin some time. Thanks to everybody who suggested it.

Comment

Purtis Creek State Park near Eunice. Both improved and "rough" kinds of sites.

Good places

Comment

Working...
                      X