Millennials - What are your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennials - What are your thoughts?

How optimistic are you about your financial situation/future? Did the financial crisis permanently change the way you think about your future?

This is the intro from the article linked below. I have mixed feelings about the message/tone of the article.

"Millennials are either impressively optimistic or blissfully ignorant.

More than a quarter of them expect to become millionaires in their lifetimes—even as 46 percent of them still live at home with their parents."

Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Very very very pessimistic.

I dont know any age who feel they will make it. I certainly don't expect to be able to retire, or have Social Security.

I came into the workforce in 2008, right at the big leap into the depression. They say that your very first starting salary will impact the rest of your life, so getting paid 50%-60% what your colleagues made just 2 years prior is depressing and i feel that a lot of my peers, including myself, are quite angry.

I remember having to refrain from yelling at the poor TCU volunteer who called me up asking for a donation within a year of graduating. A lot of my peers who had the financial ability saw the job market was abysmal, and stayed in for grad school as a shelter while everything blew over.

Comment

The way things are going there is no way in hell i could answer that question.

Comment

I don't care what the market does. I don't care how the job landscape changes. I have to make it, so I'm not giving myself a choice in the matter. I don't know if that's optimism or pessimism, but nobody's gonna take care of me and mine but me and mine. You've got to do what must be done in this life.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

chooo chooo

Comment

blissfully ignorant over here..

Comment

I may or may not get to a million depending on future market conditions, but since my expenses are only $20k/yr, even with my recent car purchase, I don't necessarily need to either.

Comment

I'm 29, A new house owns me, i have a degree, and I work 60 hours a week. I lived at home for 3 years after college and managed my debt extremely well and went directly into full employment because I knew what I wanted to do

My wife on the other hand could not find a job her first year out of college, they only wanted to hire teachers with experience. She finally got a job in Arlington, but between commuting, getting an apartment and student loans she is still very backwards finally from where I am at financially.

I will never collect social security, and my outlook on life in general is why should I quit smoking. I'd rather die when the going is good than die 88 years old wearing diapers and not knowing my own name

Comment

I'm in the oil and gas industry so there's that....but yeah if I keep on my trajectory I'll be a millionaire before 50 if not sooner.

As far as job prospects, I'm in a sweet spot and have recruiters contacting me a few times a week. I know it may not last forever but its good now.

Comment

The baby boomers are going to turn this place into Greece on their way out the door. I'd hate to be a kid fresh out of college right now.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

so you're gonna start you're own oil and gas company?? cause you know you're bosses bosses boss *might* be a millionaire. if by millionaire you mean having millions of dollars, andnotone time clipping a third comma on a tax return.

Comment

I'm 28, so that's 22 years until I'm 50. Even if my salary stayed flat...I would be covered.

I'm not talking about making a million a year...just having a net worth of a million ..

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          The baby boomers are going to turn this place into Greece on their way out the door. I'd hate to be a kid fresh out of college right now.
                          No shit. I'm looking at gov opportunities as well as international endeavors. Might as well ride at the front of the snowball.

Comment

Millionaire = net worth of a million. Standard practice for my industry is to exclude the value of primary residence, but who knows if that was even addressed for this survey. Regardless, a million net worth, not annually.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

31 here. I have a stable job and I'm comfortable, but definitely not making what I should given what I do.

It's tough for just about anyone if you are trying to either get a good job or move to another one without knowing someone who's already there. That seems like the golden ticket to jobs these days so being "fresh off the boat" as a recent college grad, not really knowing anyone on the inside, and in this economic climate............yikes.
                              2011 Mustang GT - California Special - Black/Black - M6 - 3.73's

Mods: Roush CAI, GT500 Cat-Back Exhaust, Spohn Performance Lower Control Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X