Tax guru questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax guru questions...

My wife and I just welcomed our first child on Feb 14. I am trying to get a head start on taxes next year. Both her and I have full time jobs and we will be sending the young one to daycare soon. We have never itemized, our tax situation is pretty straight forward and never a whole lot of medical bills.

Do you have to itemize to get deductions for daycare costs? What other expenses can you write off for child care? I am keeping all medical receipts this year with the birth and all I am sure there will be a lot of them.

IIRC, the daycare center will send you the form at the end of the year. I believe it only applies towards tuition.

Comment

I don't believe you have to itemize to claim day care costs.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
        My wife and I just welcomed our first child on Feb 14. I am trying to get a head start on taxes next year. Both her and I have full time jobs and we will be sending the young one to daycare soon. We have never itemized, our tax situation is pretty straight forward and never a whole lot of medical bills.

Do you have to itemize to get deductions for daycare costs? What other expenses can you write off for child care? I am keeping all medical receipts this year with the birth and all I am sure there will be a lot of them.
        You can deduct a portion of childcare depending on earnings. If you use a flex pay at work, that amount is taken from the total paid before deductions. You will have to itemize. It helps, but it's still a royal !@#$ing when you look at it in the big picture.

You can deduct medical costs or a portion thereof as well -- provided you don't make so much that it eliminates that. I believe medical costs have to exceed 10% of income to be itemized and count as a deduction.

In short terms, if you bust your ass through school and work to get ahead in life and provide for your family, plan on giving up more of it to Uncle Sam and getting a lot less back from his hand.

Comment

Just use FLEX dependent care if your work offers it.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
          X