Getting back into mountian biking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into mountian biking

I used to go mountain biking quiet a bit and loved it, that was many moons ago. Now I'm looking to get back into it and am a bit overwhelmed by all the different bikes and features out there. It seems they have bikes from $100 all the way to thousands upon thousands of dollars. What would be some good bikes to look at or features to be looking for? I'll most likely be scouring craigslist as I'm too cheap/poor to justify buying a new bike. I plan on going a couple times a week to local trails, nothing crazy like any downhill stuff.

A hardtail with disk brakes, Sram x7 and up components, an air fork, a decent light frame, and upgrades wheel set would be really ideal. Should be found for $500

Comment

PM sent

Comment

After getting advice from my cousin who is really into cycling, I went to Performance Bike in Plano. They properly fitted me after figuring out my needs. I bought a hybrid road bike and I absolutely love it. Long story longer, just go to a bike shop with your needs and budget and they'll take care of you.

Comment

^^^ go to a bike shop with a budget. Buddy bought a bike from craigslist that fit him after his first run he hated it kept it in my garage for a few months since he bought himself a new one.

Comment

Try to find year end model closeouts. It may be early enough in the year to still find them. I got a great deal on a SPecialized a few years back this way from Bicycles Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
              Try to find year end model closeouts. It may be early enough in the year to still find them. I got a great deal on a SPecialized a few years back this way from Bicycles Inc
              yeah i forgot to add this to my post. I bought my bike Sept. 14 and purchased a 2013 model. Got a smoking deal on it

Comment

If you wanna buy new, go to the bike shop and decide what you want. Then price shop it online and see what's on craigslist.
                I've found some smoking deals online on bike I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  If you wanna buy new, go to the bike shop and decide what you want. Then price shop it online and see what's on craigslist.
                  I've found some smoking deals online on bike I wanted.
                  This is frowned upon in the local cycling community, however I would do the exact same.
                  And I think local bike shops tend to be overrated, most of them just wanna sell you a bike. Buy a bike on a good deal, then go pay to get it fitted to you by a bike shop, they will adjust the seat post, seat, handlebars etc to you. If you're still not satisfied, there are plenty of aftermarket saddles, seatposts, handlebars on the market to get it near perfect for you.

Comment

Bicycles & Bikes - Mountain, Triathlon, Road, Comfort, Hybrid and Women's Bikes, Kestrel, Fuji, Schwinn and GT bikes

When I bought mine I researched a lot of bikes and watched some youtube vids. I think a lot of people get caught up in getting the "best". I really liked this guys video about the topic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs
                    I wouldnt spend more than $500 on a bike at first. Get you a bike and if you really enjoy the sport upgrade in 2-3 months. For $500 and less you can get a brand new bike off of bikesdirect thats comparable to $1000+ bike store bike.

Comment

I used to ride a Specialized Enduro, but that is so overkill for the DFW trails. I sold it, and bought a new hard tail from performance in Plano. I got a old inventory Breezer Thunder, this one, http://www.breezerbikes.com/archive/2012/thunder for $300 bucks, then spent a few hundred more to upgrade to XT drivetrain. So far it has been one of my favorite bikes and one of the best riding bikes I have enjoyed. Don't get caught up in brand names. Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Yeti, all are fantastic bikes, but really pricey. I had never heard of a Breezer until I walked in the store that day.
                      Get a bike that fits you and has decent components so you can enjoy the ride. Upgrade as your skills/needs dictate.
                      1995 Cobra #404
                      1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
                      1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Call Adam or buy an Airborne Goblin or a used Niner EMD.

Comment

Originally posted by reytx1 View Post
                          This is frowned upon in the local cycling community, .
                          I appreciate the local shop and what they have to offer, but they don't have to jack theprices that much. Just like a car dealer makes more money on service. The LBS needs to learn that. I spent $200 on a tune up, and cable replacements on my wifes TRek at the Plano Cycling. I think they did fine on that transaction and I was happy with the results. But the prices on their bikes are just freakin too high.

Comment

All you need.....

Comment

Working...
                            X