Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

apparently time days of cheap, plentiful cams are over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apparently time days of cheap, plentiful cams are over.

The engine in the 69 let go of the ghost this weekend. I figured Ill just pick up a 96 explorer long block, drop a cheap letter cam or something in it and roll.

They used to be everywhere. I had 3 different cams at one point, and I sold all of it a while back. I cant find one listed for sale on CL, nor the facebook by/sell/trade stuff.

I guess times change. The days of the 50-75 dollar cams are gone.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Thanks, Obama.

Comment

LOL

Thanks, rotation of the earth
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Those facebooks pages are complete bullshit, people either low ball the shit out of you or ask an insane amount. I'm like you, I bought 2 B cams for $75/ea and now a used one is within $20-30 of a new one. WTF? I have a stock HO cam sitting here you can have, not as "cool" as a B or F but it'll be better than that Explorer cam.
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

back in the day, everybody and their mother had that shit laying around... because they were the first cams everybody bought, and everybody had SBF stuff.

that was a long ass time ago

the expensive used cams you're seeing were probably purchased within the past few years, and as there aren't any cheap ones to compete with them on the used market?
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

How soon are you needing one? I have a B cam I can give you, just need to take it out of my block.
            Scott Ganow
            Lone Star Performance
            16300 Midway Rd
            Addison, TX 75001
            214-630-5006

Comment

Dang, sorry to hear the engine let go on you. I would expect someone here would have a cam or three laying around.

Comment

Give me tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime...
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  back in the day, everybody and their mother had that shit laying around... because they were the first cams everybody bought, and everybody had SBF stuff.

that was a long ass time ago

the expensive used cams you're seeing were probably purchased within the past few years, and as there aren't any cheap ones to compete with them on the used market?
                  hell even the new cams are higher, the TFS 1's are a hundred bucks higher than they used to be.
                  Originally posted by 00KBGT View Post
                  How soon are you needing one? I have a B cam I can give you, just need to take it out of my block.
                  Im ordering in an explorer long block that *should* be in this week, so this weekend Ill pull it apart and check everything out. Trying to get it swapped in pretty quick, still trying to stay on schedule to drive it to austin for the round up next month. How long do you think it would be before you have it out?
                  Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  Dang, sorry to hear the engine let go on you. I would expect someone here would have a cam or three laying around.
                  Yeah, it sucks, died just idling. Big downside is that I just installed a holley HP EFI on it and was done with idle tuning and was pulling it out to start the drive-n-tune.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What part of it let go?

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      What part of it let go?
                      I havent torn it down, but it was burning oil on startup, so I figured it needed valve seals. It was running well, idling nice and pretty, and started getting a bit of blow-by out the breathers. I figure an intake valve let go and punched a hole in the piston, now when I crank it over it huffs smoke out of the breathers, and it has a dead spot in the cranking.

Comment

I sell used letter cams $200 on ebay I haven't had any in awhile

Comment

The diesel world ratcheted prices of aftermarket parts into the stratosphere, so a $300 cam seems cheap when looking at go fast parts for a diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            The diesel world ratcheted prices of aftermarket parts into the stratosphere, so a $300 cam seems cheap when looking at go fast parts for a diesel.
                            hell the modular cams are crazy expensive, and you need more of them.

Comment

Check corral... I see them and tfs go under $200

Comment

Working...
                              X