house lease question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house lease question

Me and the wife sold our house last december and moved into a rental as temporary housing while we obtain a new place. My question is, once our current lease expires in december, will it renew should be decide to go month to month afterwards, or will be be able to move out whenever we decide with of course a proper notice? I have read that in some states the lease automatically renews with the same terms and conditions as previously which puts us another year out. We've had a lot of trouble out of the house we are in, and even though its temporary, we are not happy with a lot of things not to mention the landlord is very difficult to work with. to name a few, the water heater quit working the day we moved in (we were without hot water the first week we lived there), half the electrical outlets in the kitchen and bathroom did not work, the aerobic system was broken and did not work correctly, and more. I would rather not have to move during xmas again this year, but would rather not be stuck in another lease with this house.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Move

Comment

Looks like Brads offering up a place!!! Take him up on that shit!!

God bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

As long as he is committed to being a full fledged cock sack!

Comment

worst case scenario, ask if you can just go two months longer, then just find a different place. That gives him time to find someone else who also does not want to move during the holiday season, so it's a win/win
          2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

I would think that the renewal term depends completely upon the landlord. Perhaps there there is a standard to renew the same term, but there isn't some law that requires it. Ask if you can go month to month, and if he says no, then find a new place to rent, if this one sucks so bad.

I know that most apartments will let you go month to month at a higher rent, no reason that a landlord wouldn't be willing to do the same, to get a few extra bucks out of you.

Comment

Not to be an ass or anything, but read your lease. Most of that should be covered there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Not to be an ass or anything, but read your lease. Most of that should be covered there.
                That takes work, it's easier to ask the innerweb.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  That takes work, it's easier to ask the innerweb.
                  I know you're mainly kidding but.. The problem, especially in dealing with individual landlords vs. leasing companies, is that the language can significantly differ from lease to lease. Generally the lease is going to be the determining factor, unless it has provisions that go against any state or federal law.

It's also worth reaching out to the landlord and getting specific permission to go month to month, if you only want to go an extra few. But make sure you have it in writing (even just an email confirming a verbal conversation).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    I know you're mainly kidding but.. The problem, especially in dealing with individual landlords vs. leasing companies, is that the language can significantly differ from lease to lease. Generally the lease is going to be the determining factor, unless it has provisions that go against any state or federal law.

It's also worth reaching out to the landlord and getting specific permission to go month to month, if you only want to go an extra few. But make sure you have it in writing (even just an email confirming a verbal conversation).
                    I'm not kidding, I'm being facetious. He needs to go to the lease paperwork and speak directly with the landlord first and foremost. None of what is said in here has any bearing on what the renewal will look like, we can only offer anecdotal experience on what's happened with other landlords.

Comment

Yep, check the lease. Most likely, it will automatically go month to month until one of you gives notice to the other. If that's the case, there is no need to contact the landlord, especially if he's a dick. At our last house, we stayed 6.5 years on a 1 year lease. It was month to month for the last 5.5 years, and we never talked to the landlord until the very end. Our rate never went up, mostly because we just never addressed it. I'd float along until you are ready to give notice, and don't poke the bear, or they may raise your rent.

Again, double check the lease before taking any other advice.

Comment

Check your lease and talk with the landlord. They may not let you go month to month if they can fill the house with another tenant.

Comment

Kool, guess I'll just plan to move asap. Landlord is a dick and I am 100% confident he will want to raise the rent. I highly doubt he will be able to fill with another tenant very quickly. There is becoming more and more houses available in the area that are not being filled very quick. Which on the flip side might work to my advantage in terms of possibly staying another month or two and keep the rent the same price.

I'll keep all this in mind as we get closer to the end of the lease. We are only half way through right now, so plenty of time to hopefully locate a better place and give notice we will be moving.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm going to go with what Craig said. I lived in one place where if you didn't notify them you're staying or leaving at 60 days in advance at the end of the lease you automatically went month to month at a higher price with the same advanced notice requirements, and the place I'm in now doesn't have that provision.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              I'm going to go with what Craig said. I lived in one place where if you didn't notify them you're staying or leaving at 60 days in advance at the end of the lease you automatically went month to month at a higher price with the same advanced notice requirements, and the place I'm in now doesn't have that provision.
                              I negotiated prior to moving in to have a 45 day notice before moving out. But there is nothing specific to what happens after the lease expires. I read that some states if nothing is agreed on then the lease will automatically renew for the same terms and conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X