Question about divorce and kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about divorce and kids.

A friend just found out that her husband has been cheating with a woman from work. Now this is all just coming to light but he has already made the following statement and I wanted some insight:

"I'll take care of our daughter financially but [insert her son's name here] isn't my kid and I wont be responsible for him."

Now, while I can see this in some situations here is the deal. They started dating while she was pregnant with this little boy. His biological father isn't and has never been in the picture. This douche canoe is the only "father" the kid has ever known and has provided for him since they moved in together when he was like 2, he's almost 7 now.

Will the court hold him financially responsible for the son or would that be a long, uphill battle for little to no chance?

Thanks for your help guys.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Nope.

He is NOT the father. It sucks but it is what it is.

Comment

No, not if he is not the biological father. Unless he adopted them. If she wants child support for that child she needs to file with the real dad.

Comment

Ok that's what I needed to know.

Comment

A judge can rule either way. It has been done befkre. Don't be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            A judge can rule either way. It has been done befkre. Don't be surprised.
            yep. In acquaintance was in a similar position, and since he was the only father the child had ever known or been supported by, he got to pay support for both.

I wouldn't think that would be the case if the biological father was paying child support already, though.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Have them talk to a lawyer. And what a POS.
              WRX

Comment

Yup, a judge will always favor for the kid(s). It seems he took responsibility to raise the kid knowing it wasn't his and has provided for him, I see the judge ruling for the kid...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Yup, a judge will always favor for the kid(s). It seems he took responsibility to raise the kid knowing it wasn't his and has provided for him, I see the judge ruling for the kid...
                  This was my thought process.

Anyone recommend a good divorce lawyer?

Comment

Man, don't save her.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      Man, don't save her.
                      Just a friend from high school and her and my wife are close friends, nothing else. Solid advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedD1 View Post
                        Nope.

He is NOT the father. It sucks but it is what it is.
                        Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                        No, not if he is not the biological father. Unless he adopted them. If she wants child support for that child she needs to file with the real dad.
                        You two don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, and shouldn't be giving this kind of advice.

I'd say there is a 90% chance he will end up paying support on both. Especially considering he has raised the child as his own. Reason #45687531424597856342145215869 not to date women with kids.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                            Have them talk to a lawyer. And what a POS.
                            Why is he a POS? Just cause he doesn't want to pay for a kid that's not his? I don't think anybody would, like someone else said unless he adopted the kid.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                              Just a friend from high school and her and my wife are close friends, nothing else. Solid advice though.
                              That is reassuring.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X