No announcement yet.

SpaceX just made history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That vid is some crazy Star Wars like stuff. I love it.

Comment

• Holy shit , that landing is as sci-fi as it gets.
      Last edited by Jimbo; 12-21-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
        Holy shit , that landing is as sci-fi it gets.
        Pretty much

Comment

• 2002 vs 2017

Comment

• That Falcon 9 Heavy is one huge sonuvagun.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• FWIW, gotta remember that even ol' Elon isn't too optimistic about this first flight.

Back in July he said there's a "good chance" that it won't make it to orbit, and followed up with “I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest.”

Comment

• If he is so certain its going to blow up why not put it off work on tech a year or 2 versus BLOWing a few hundred million....if i was an investor I would be leary when the leader says it is not going to work

Comment

• Originally posted by zachary View Post
                      If he is so certain its going to blow up why not put it off work on tech a year or 2 versus BLOWing a few hundred million....if i was an investor I would be leary when the leader says it is not going to work
                      Fail fast, learn faster. Or in Elon's words, "Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough."
                      Even if it does the RUD trick they'll end up with way more actionable information in a much shorter time. Doing it this way they'll make some big fireworks shows, but also probably have everything nailed down and doing revenue flights in that two year time.

And if you were building Mars rockets wouldn't you rather base future decisions on real world data, rather than estimations and best-guesses from simulations?

That's just how he rolls, and with the results they're getting I'd say he's doing ok
                      Last edited by Strychnine; 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zachary View Post
                        If he is so certain its going to blow up why not put it off work on tech a year or 2 versus BLOWing a few hundred million....if i was an investor I would be leary when the leader says it is not going to work
                        Did you see how many failures they had in trying to land their rockets? What was it, more than a dozen? Now SpaceX has the ONLY orbital grade booster that can be landed and reused. They are years ahead of the competition. The closest competitor is New Origin's rockets, which can be landed, but they aren't powerful enough for orbit.

Comment

• I don't follow the situation..

So I assume he's had no luck with getting nasa to just turn over everything they know? They seem to be pretty good at getting stuff into orbit, and if he's saying he doesn't think it will make it that far, well there are some people you could ask.
                          WH

Comment

• just no...

Comment

• Mobile so can't repost, but look here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdA94kVgQhU/

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                                Mobile so can't repost, but look here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdA94kVgQhU/
                                Wouldn't be a complete waste. Good marketing if he was ever able to get that car to the surface, on a flat area. The car would run fine on mars. And you could take it off some sweet jumps.

Make an ad that says "Do not attempt on earth"
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X