No announcement yet.

SpaceX just made history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elon confirmed that the core stage was lost during landing.

Comment

• Wow, just fucking wow.

That shot of the two boosters landing at the same time looks fake.
      Originally posted by Nash B.
      Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
        Wow, just fucking wow.

That shot of the two boosters landing at the same time looks fake.
        So fucking cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
          Elon confirmed that the core stage was lost during landing.
          "...it hit the water at 500km/hr and about 100m away from the ship."

That's 310 mph. LOL. I hope there's video of that.

Also, from /r/showerthoughts
          Kim Jong-un at some point had to sit down and reflect upon the fact that he is engaging in a flexing contest with a country that just had a civilian send a rocket into space, with his car on it.

Comment

• Comment

• STRYC
              you are probably more up to speed than I am. I read where they slightly over shot mars and it is headed to astroid belt?

Elon Musk
              @elonmusk
              12h12 hours ago
              More
              Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.
              I thought it would take a looong time to get there? Diagram shows already there?

Comment

• I wonder how long it will take for all of the plastic in the car to turn into dust.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

• Originally posted by zachary View Post
                  I read where they slightly over shot mars and it is headed to astroid belt?

I thought it would take a looong time to get there? Diagram shows already there?
                  They didn't overshoot Mars. They overshot the orbital path that would take them to Mars (worth noting, they never planned to insert into Mars orbit. It was always going to be a flyby and a heliocentric orbit). If the final burn would have gone exactly to plan and it were still headed to Mars, it's like a 7 month journey.

The green line (orbit projection) likely stops where it does in that pic b/c they don't have precise enough data to continue calculations. The car wasn't rigged up like a satellite, it really was just thrown up there to get some cool pictures. They didn't even try to gather data from the space suit or put a solar panel on it to power the camera longer.

Here's some interesting analysis someone did:

Based on the numbers in Elon's picture:

Apohelion: 2.61 AU (Ra)
                  Perihelion: 0.98 AU (Rp)
                  a: semi-major axis
                  e: eccentricity
                  Ra=a(1+e) ; Ra/(1+e) = a
                  Rp=a(1-e) ; Rp/(1-e) = a
                  Ra(1+e) = Rp(1-e) ; solve for e, e = 0.454039
                  Solve for a, a = 1.785 1.795 AU
                  Orbital period T = 2pi * sqrt(a3 / u_sun) = 871.1 878.4 days.

u: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standa...onal_parameter

One sidereal year is ~365.25 days. Assuming the perihelion ends up coming back to roughly the same spot where the earth is in 5 roadster orbits, it might come back within a few million miles in 12 earth years if its orbit doesn't get perturbed too greatly (for example, it might get close enough to Jupiter at some point that you really have to take it into account to get accurate positions a few years out), but we need to know the inclination and some other parameters to get a complete ephemeris to run a simulation (probably including Jupiter) to see where it'll actually end up. https://i.imgur.com/hSYs1Jg.png

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%5E2))+to+days
                  Last edited by Strychnine; 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Yea after i posted that i realized it was the potential orbit path not actual path to date.

I was very surprised there was no data gathering systems on the car or the suit. I thought even nasa or air force would want to put some things on there. I guess he really did not expect it to survive.

Comment

• Those rocket landings are a trip, reminds me (in a much more positive light) of what it was like watching the news on 9/11. Looked fake, but was/is very real.

Comment

• That guy sure knows how to waste other people’s money!!! Wouldn’t put one dime in his rockets and shit nobody buys

Comment

• Go back into your hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            They didn't overshoot Mars. They overshot the orbital path that would take them to Mars (worth noting, they never planned to insert into Mars orbit. It was always going to be a flyby and a heliocentric orbit). If the final burn would have gone exactly to plan and it were still headed to Mars, it's like a 7 month journey.

The green line (orbit projection) likely stops where it does in that pic b/c they don't have precise enough data to continue calculations. The car wasn't rigged up like a satellite, it really was just thrown up there to get some cool pictures. They didn't even try to gather data from the space suit or put a solar panel on it to power the camera longer.

Here's some interesting analysis someone did:
                            I remember how hard it was to calculate perturbed orbits!!!!
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Great video and sound of the landing.

Comment

• BFR maiden. You’re welcome...

Comment

Working...
                                X