Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting old and want a decent wrist watch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got this one for my birthday last year and it's my offshore watch. People on the boat say, "man that's too nice to be wearing out here!" But shoot it's a tough watch and has an awesome crystal on it. I hardly ever take it off, even shower with it, LOL....

Comment

I bought a Rolex Air King just after my 17th birthday and wore it nearly non-stop for 27 years. I own several other Rolex's but the Air King just feels right. It was and remains the best money I have ever spent on anything, ever.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
        Look, I collect cans for a living. Do you have any idea how many cans I gotta collect for 300??

Ill hold em down for you, tickle him till he pee his pants

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
          I bought a Rolex Air King just after my 17th birthday and wore it nearly non-stop for 27 years. I own several other Rolex's but the Air King just feels right. It was and remains the best money I have ever spent on anything, ever.
          Of all the shit you talk about your splendiferous life...your best expense was a watch? A clock on your wrist is the thing that you chalk up to the best money youve ever spent?

Comment

citizen watches are sold on cruise ships, that should tell you all you want to know. Citizen does not protect retail pricing, so your watch will never hold its value. Hamilton does protect retail pricing.

Hamilton is a very nicely made automatic watch, very high value on you the price you pay.

All that being said, only watch I own is a Gshock rangeman I bought for when I go on vacations. I absolutely love that watch, I hardly wear it tho

How long since you have been on a cruise? Just went in December and a friend on board bought a very nice Rado and he looked at a few Tags. They also carried Hamilton, Tissot, Longines, Omega, Movado, etc.

Comment

My wife got this Seiko Coutura for me for Christmas. Love it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Of all the shit you talk about your splendiferous life...your best expense was a watch? A clock on your wrist is the thing that you chalk up to the best money youve ever spent?
                Yes sir. To me that watch is priceless. I did not even take it off the first 2 or 3 years that I owned it. There has never been a single thing that I have gotten as much enjoyment out of for so long as I have gotten out of that watch. A tab on the band broke last summer so I have been wearing a Datejust until I get around to having the Air King fixed.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                  Yes sir. To me that watch is priceless. I did not even take it off the first 2 or 3 years that I owned it. There has never been a single thing that I have gotten as much enjoyment out of for so long as I have gotten out of that watch. A tab on the band broke last summer so I have been wearing a Datejust until I get around to having the Air King fixed.
                  I guess maybe sentimental value? Is this like your token of first success?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                    I saw that video war machine. To pricey for me, but that is the watch I want just with the black face brown band.

I'm looking at it as an investment for a lifetime. I don't want to collect them, but want quality. Something if it gets beat up I can send it in and have it repaired etc.

I do like this citizen.
                    That is the watch I have. Very happy with it. Some days I wish it had a velcro band for a better fit since my wrist seems to be in between notches, but that is the only complaint I have and it doesn't bother me enough to have actually changed bands.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I did not know what it was when I bought it. I was at the Golden Triangle Mall in Denton and saw a really hot girl working at a jeweler and I wanted to talk to her so I said that I was looking for a nice watch. When she showed me the watch it floored me and I wanted it badly so I had to bust my ass to come up with the money for it and I came back a few months later and bought it. Until I put it on I had never know that there were things as finely crafted as that watch.

I bought a few of the Domino's pizza Air Kings on ebay in the early 2000s when they could be had for about $400 but I have never had the logos taken off and I haven't ever worn them. In late 08 through early 09 You could buy Rolex's VERY cheap and I bought half a dozen of them but have gotten rid of most of them. I also have an IWC Portuguese but it is too gaudy for me to wear.

Comment

Most 'collector' watches are fairly gaudy. They just don't appeal to me much.

This is a super-cheapo Sinn 556. Still my favorite watch. I've kept an eye on them for the past 3-4 years and they have steadily increased from 700 to 1200 dollars. I should have bought one when I first decided I wanted it. Oh well.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

^^^^ If you hawk Ebay in various European countries you will find one for CHEAP every so often.

Comment

My Victorinox isn't my most expensive watch, and no where near Rolex territory, but such a joy to wear because of where and why I bought it. Been through several leather bands, and a crystal, and only recently took a temporary back seat to the gifted Citizen mentioned above as the most worn, for obvious reasons. Such a pain being a manual wind, but that's part of the wearing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              is that like, code?
                              Well, it's no Citizen, but I'd still suck his dick for it..

Look, I collect cans for a living. Do you have any idea how many cans I gotta collect for 300??
                              You should move to Oregon, I think they get like $0.05 a can!

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                              I got this one for my birthday last year and it's my offshore watch. People on the boat say, "man that's too nice to be wearing out here!" But shoot it's a tough watch and has an awesome crystal on it. I hardly ever take it off, even shower with it, LOL....
                              I had a G Shock when I was in the Army and really liked it, and they are tough. Ended up getting stolen when I was at Fort Bliss.. Way too many thieves in the barracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                                I saw that video war machine. To pricey for me, but that is the watch I want just with the black face brown band.

I'm looking at it as an investment for a lifetime. I don't want to collect them, but want quality. Something if it gets beat up I can send it in and have it repaired etc.

I do like this citizen.
                                Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                                That is the watch I have. Very happy with it. Some days I wish it had a velcro band for a better fit since my wrist seems to be in between notches, but that is the only complaint I have and it doesn't bother me enough to have actually changed bands.
                                I really like that watch and actually need a new one for camping. Might be a little out of my price range though, as I typically use cheaper watches for that. The last one I had was a cheap Casio like this, but it shit the bed when I tried to replace the battery (I'm sure I screwed it up). I do figure I got my $20 worth out of it, with a few years of use:

The good thing about it was that although it didn't have stopwatch functionality, the outer bezel spun, so at least I could easily keep track of minutes.

I do like these as well, with the cloth band (Timex Expedition Scout metal):

I would really like a Suunto with Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, etc, but can't justify the cost for camping only:

Comment

Working...
                                X