Tuesday's storms obliterated my fenceline - A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday's storms obliterated my fenceline - A Question

So I came home from a conference and apparently during Tuesday's storms, we took a nice 60 - 70 mph straightline wind to the back yard. Destroyed the fenceline between myself and our neighbors to the rear.

Only 1 or 2 sections of a roughly 30 yard section are still standing.

The fenceposts are on myside, they have the 'nice' side, but I have read that the fence usually resides on one property or another and not directly down the middle.

No one has come to my house since Tuesday, neighbors haven't touched the downed fence. Anyone ever dealt with a situation like this?

The sections look good, the poles are what were rotted out and failed. I can just repair it, but how do I find out if it's my fence or theirs?

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
    So I came home from a conference and apparently during Tuesday's storms, we took a nice 60 - 70 mph straightline wind to the back yard. Destroyed the fenceline between myself and our neighbors to the rear.

Only 1 or 2 sections of a roughly 30 yard section are still standing.

The fenceposts are on myside, they have the 'nice' side, but I have read that the fence usually resides on one property or another and not directly down the middle.

No one has come to my house since Tuesday, neighbors haven't touched the downed fence. Anyone ever dealt with a situation like this?

The sections look good, the poles are what were rotted out and failed. I can just repair it, but how do I find out if it's my fence or theirs?

I say be a good neighbor and ask if they want to split the costs. Wish my neighbor asked me when she replaced every portion of her fence except for my side which is actually on her property.

Comment

All property that shares a fence is 50/50. The old adage of "the posts are on my side-- my fence" went away (legally) many years ago. That is what the city of Fort Worth says.

Comment

since they are on your side I would fix them. upgrade to galvanized. maybe see if your neighbor would help you out since its kinda their fence too. you can probably stand the panels back up and just put lag bolts through the new metal brackets on the poles. don't be stingy with the concrete put a shitload in there so they dont move

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
          All property that shares a fence is 50/50. The old adage of "the posts are on my side-- my fence" went away (legally) many years ago. That is what the city of Fort Worth says.
          This.

I had severe damage to my fence a few years ago plus roof damage. Insurance paid for about 50% of fence, but I refused to repair it the way it was built -- with landscape timbers for posts. I talked to my neighbors on all 3 sides and told them I'd cover the cost of the fence if they'd just stain their side. I told them what I wanted to build (cedar with metal posts and board on board plus trim), and 2 of the 3 were in favor of it. The third was a property owner in Cali that was a dick. The fence we shared had already fallen down before.

He pissed and moaned to the HOA who sent me a letter. I called them and told them to come to my house to discuss. The head guy did and literally said, "What the hell is his problem? That's a beautiful fence!" I told him the same, but the guy was arguing that the new fence didn't match his existing fence. I even let him have the 'good side' if he wanted it. In the end, I put the 'good side' on my yard side and salvaged some of the broken sections of the old fence. I rehung them on 'his side' so that there were actually 2 sections of fence on one set of poles. I told the guy his fence was back the way it was and that he needed to get it off the poles I replaced or pay for half of them. A month later, he had contractors there redoing the side of the shitty fence that I rehung on his side that included new poles.

TLDR -- talk to the neighbors about paying for half, but in the end, find a way to do what you want. I did that; adjacent property was pissed; he fucked with the wrong guy and ended up spending way more than he could have.

Comment

2 years ago the fence we shared with our neighbor in a DR Whorton neighborhood in Red Oak was badly damaged during a late November storm with multiple sections collapsed. I spoke to the neighbor that had the "nice" side of the fence personally and asked if he would split the cost of rebuilding it with me providing the labor and him splitting the cost of materials. He said no. I went ahead and rebuilt it...using steel posts and treated wood and galvanized screws instead of nails....built what is probably the best built fence in the neighborhood that will outlast the house. About 6 months later another storm blew threw and knocked down the front portion of his fence...his dogs started getting out as he just put up a couple of half assed patches that only lasted a few days. Went back over Christmas to help my mother move out of that piece of shit planned neighborhood and noticed that the back portion of his fence was collapsing, and that sorry ass neighbor came over and asked if I had any materials left over from when I built her fence that he could use to fix his. I just laughed at him and went on with the moving.

Comment

The way that I've managed fence replacements in the past... If the neighbor is willing to split the costs, the posts will stay on my side (they were on my side at a previous house), if not, I'll pay for it and put the posts on their side and wait for them to say something about a free fence.

Comment

I guess I'm weird, but I like have the posts on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                  Not at all, I would prefer to have the posts on all sides. On one side I would actually prefer a chain link, but the HOA will not allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                    It's damn sure not as easy for someone to climb over into your yard.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Did not read comments, but when this happened to me our HOA documentation outlined it as equally owned and all should equally pay for its replacement. However, it was to be worked out among the homeowners and the HOA would not get involved.

All my neighbors chipped in - no problem...but it was a hassle talking with 3 neighbors...coordination and all that junk. Worthless HOA
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        It's damn sure not as easy for someone to climb over into your yard.
                        That's one of the main reasons.

Comment

Working...
                        X