Buying an enclosed car hauler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an enclosed car hauler?

As much as we get moved around, my plan for our next move is to tow the wife's daily with us in an enclosed trailer. Our moves usually take 2-3 days to get to where we are going so enclosed is definitely the way to go since we'd like to put some additional gear in the trailer with her Jeep.

That will basically require 5000lb axles but beyond that I'm not even certain what to look for. There are so many of these things on CL that its hard to tell what is good and what is junk. There are some for sale that are brand names that I recognize like Interstate, Haulmark, Continental, etc and then some that arent even branded.

Trying to find something 20-24' long with dual 5000lb axles or better and brakes. It will be towed behind a 2006 F250 6.0 CCSB. Tagged weight for the Jeep is ~5100 IIRC.

Waste of money. I looked into this but decided not to. Gotta pay for it, registration, tires and you gotta figure out where to park it.

Comment

We have one for the race cars, it's really nice to be able to store our gear in there and not have it get wet, blow out, etc. We went light on ours so we dont have a heavy pig just for a light race car and some gear.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
        Waste of money. I looked into this but decided not to. Gotta pay for it, registration, tires and you gotta figure out where to park it.
        Even at 5-6k its a waste? We'd just park it on base wherever we are assigned, thats never an issue. And if we don't move a car with it and end up shipping it instead, we could easily move household goods in it and get paid for it.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        We have one for the race cars, it's really nice to be able to store our gear in there and not have it get wet, blow out, etc. We went light on ours so we dont have a heavy pig just for a light race car and some gear.
        Yeah makes sense. We would be staying on a budget so nothing like a Featherlite or anything. Would likely be a ~4k lb trailer empty.

Comment

I've owned several ..

Really handy,

in Texas or the southern states in general ,tires take a beating from sitting in one spot , you will have blowouts .

I quit buying trailers with 15's just because of that

It is like having a moving storage building , everyone of mine at one time or another got hailed on, I took the money and ran making it close to a even deal by that time

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
            Even at 5-6k its a waste? We'd just park it on base wherever we are assigned, thats never an issue. And if we don't move a car with it and end up shipping it instead, we could easily move household goods in it and get paid for it.

Yeah makes sense. We would be staying on a budget so nothing like a Featherlite or anything. Would likely be a ~4k lb trailer empty.
            How often are you really moving? How much is the storage fee on base?

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
              How often are you really moving? How much is the storage fee on base?
              Every 3 years roughly. Storage should be free on base if parked creatively.

Comment

Any of the top name trailers are pretty good, watch out for the cheapies such as Diamond Cargo and a few others. Mine is 24' with 7k axles, V-nose with the extended tongue, hidden dovetail and a heavy duty rear door. I put my Mustang and a ton of stuff that my dad left me in it and drug it from Texas to Alaska. It was nice to know stuff was relatively secured and out of the weather.

Comment

Working...
                X