Buying a vehicle with high mileage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a vehicle with high mileage.

So I bought a fleet truck from the company my Dad works for. 2010 single cab f150 4.6 2v runs and drives like a champ, ac and heat work, even came with a headache rack. Only paid $2000 for it. There's only one thing that makes me nervous it has 288,000 miles on it. I got the service records with the truck and the oil has been changed every three thousand miles and the truck has been well maintained. I'm curious as to if any of you have ever purchased a high mileage vehicle and what kind of luck you had?

They are all set to detonate at 300k.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
      Sweet.

Comment

I put a chip on mine and got to 315
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

I bought my 98 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext. cab 4x4 with 96k miles on the clock and drove it with no major problems (1 fuel pump, 1 radiator, 1 water pump, and 1 intake gasket) until 265k miles when my dad traded me for his 07 GMC Sierra. He still has the 98 and drives it regularly...I loved that truck. Sadly he told me he is putting it up for sale this spring.

Comment

You meant 290k.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Pretty much all of my hondas have over 250k miles.

My advice with any used car with alot of miles and basic maintenance is to get ahead of any break downs

Perform a cooling system flush and then replace thermostat and top up with new coolant

Replace plugs and fuel filter.

Replace trans filter, do not flush transmission

Drain diff fluid and refill with new fluid

Typically a work truck with high mileage looks like a dumpster inside. If the interior is in good shape you got a good deal

Comment

All in how it was maintained. My sisters kia had 255K on it when we got it, was still on the original timing belt and oil filter. Had to change the motor, but since then, it's hit 300K. My dad usually puts 300K on his trucks before selling, they were all fine. Bought an expedition from mustng86 with 290ish on it and it was like brand new. Same with a 5.0L explorer that I got from auction with 288K.

Comment

For 2k I'd drive the wheels off of it, and fix what's needed.

Comment

I bought the tahoe I had at 200,000, did all routine maintenance and fluid changes, intake gasket and cooling system, then the truck ran like new until I sold it to a friend. Her son still drives it around town, kind of regret getting rid of it but didn't need it then.

My 2001 sierra I got from my dad at 155,000 because he is scared of high mileage. Has 188,000 now, runs great, I commute daily. Fluids, alternator, pugs, and battery are all I think I have done amd I havent even done all fluids yet. Need to though.

98 cherokee has 173k, just got it 2 months ago. Did all fluids, and keep running into small things, mostly electrical because Chrysler electronics. But it is my toy and fun to work on.

My cousins son's 2001 silverado has over 200k, only major thing I know of is the tranny went last year. Alot of other small things that were just normal wear and tear.

Cousin's wife drove a 3/4 ton 01 silverado with 300k on it, not aware of any issues with it. They sold it just because she wanted sometbing newer.

Cousin drives a prius with an estimated 700,000 miles. Started having problems at 300k starting with the odometer stops at 299,999 becuse engineers designed it that way. It is about ready to fall apart since it wasn't (per toyots) designed to last that long.

My point is high mileage is nothing to be scared of, just do regular maintenance, pay attention and fix things as they break. Most large repair bills (except expensive shit like tramsmissions or computers) seem to be people ignoring maintenance or ignoring little shit, then it adding up to one costly repair. I commute in my 188k mile truck. Will commute occasionlly in the 173k jeep once I get a few more things fixed. Just spend a few hundre on fluids, plugs, filters, etc, take time to look it over, address issues, and enjoy it. Plenty of high mileage f150s on the road. They are a popular trucks for a reason. Sounds like a good deal, enjoy it.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I assume you mean a 4.6 3 valve since it is a 2010. In any event you can get the 4.6 2v and 4.6 3v in good condition for reasonable prices these days. Do a swap and you will have a nice truck. Both of those last forever as long as you stay on top of the maintenance.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                        ... just do regular maintenance, pay attention and fix things as they break. Most large repair bills (except expensive shit like transmissions or computers) seem to be people ignoring maintenance or ignoring little shit, then it adding up to one costly repair.
                        I think this sums it up perfectly. When most people say "it was driving great until..." they usually mean they have been ignoring something obvious until it completely failed. If you can do your own work and you keep up with the maintenance, it will serve you well. The best part about the 4.6L is that they are a dime a dozen, so finding inexpensive parts, good aftermarket support, or friends with knowledge on them will be easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X