Decatur swap meet is on this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
    If you got rid of 36 vehicles yes I would say your addiction is slightly out of control. Nothing wrong with it though, way better than spending your time and money on a barstool. You quit completely, or still keep a few projects around?
    I quit completely. I have 3 vehicles now. We have my wife's truck (2014 Ram R/T that is lowered), our daily driver 2015 Ram 1500 crew cab and a 2015 Challenger that has 439 miles on it. It is the fewest vehicles I owned since my freshman year of high school (1989). I kept accumulating projects over the years and they stacked up. I stored them at my parents shop (outside Amarillo)and while living in Fort Worth I decided that it was getting to be to much for my dad to keep up with, between the grass/weeds around cars, tires aired up and all that. So I started with all the cars out behind the shop and set aside all the money from each vehicle. Once those were sold and gone I used all that money I had pooled together and bought my parents a 2012 Challenger R/T to drive and enjoy. They could get in, turn the key and go anywhere they wanted with almost no maintenance compared to the keeping up with all the old cars laying around. Once I got going on selling I was going to keep my 4 finished cars and 2 of my favorite project cars. However when I got down to those that were left....I decided to just clean house of all the cars and enjoy not having all that to keep up and look after. I sold the last car on eBay about 4 months ago or so. After all the years of hunting parts, cars, paying shops to do work, paying insurance on a complete fleet of cars....it is DAMN nice not to have all that going on for a change. I certainly still enjoy looking at all the cars and parts but somehow I found it just as easy to walk away from good deals as is was to drag them home! I will have another old Mopar one day but I will probably hold out a few more years and buy something that is done to a very high level and that is more of an investment grade car. I will post a few pics of the cars I sold, when I get some time today or tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like an 8 step plan to quit hot rodding.... Don't think I haven't thought the same thing a time or 2... I'm gonna move to the hill country soon. I guess I'm gonna have to haul a load to the swap meet when we commit.

Comment

Trust me, most all my friends and family think I absolutely lost my mind. But honestly I felt the collection had taken over not just my life and finances. I was spending most all free time either looking for cars and parts or overseeing a restoration project. Once I had the 71 Dart, 71 Charger, 70 Duster and 73 Cuda all restored. It was non stop of something needed attention of some sort. Trying to keep up with daily drivers, old car fleet, gathering parts for other coming projects, etc....I just decided that any more restored cars would add to the insurance bill and long list of growing, "needs something done to it", list. I would not say I am out of hot rodding. I have just taken a break by changing my direction. During the sell off of cars and after buying my parents the 2012 Challenger R/T. I had the chance to buy a 2015 Challenger Hellcat when the person that ordered it could not get the deal done when it came in. I jumped on the chance to buy it. We don't drive it much at all but really enjoy it when we do. I am actually considering buying another late model car to build. Maybe a new Mustang GT and have a Hellion turbo kit put on or maybe another late model Challenger. The hard part is finding someone that can work on the late model Mopar stuff to really upgrade them. That is why I am considering another Mustang to play with. I can jump either one of those and drive cross country where I would never even consider that with the old cars. It was really fun to drive them around town and display them at shows. But I decided I wanted something to drive, in comfort, and it is hard to beat new technology as for power, comfort and reliability.
        Last edited by 1carcrazyguy; 02-26-2017, 08:16 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Here is a link to my project build thread. I started this thread after my 71 Dart was done. I was getting the 70 Duster project going and it started in 2009. It also covers the 71 Charger and the 73 Cuda builds.

This is my 70 Duster that I bought in 2005. My Dad and I found the car while out looking for parts for my 71 Dart that I was working on. Here is the "as found pic"

Comment

Old house garage...
            Last edited by 1carcrazyguy; 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
              So what the hell do you do with your spare time?
              Well....I did purchase a KTM dirt bike and I go ride it as much as I can. Takes up almost no garage space, doesn't require insurance and it is great exercise for the body and mind!

Comment

Working...
              X