Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Canadian truck...any "gotcha's" to be aware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Canadian truck...any "gotcha's" to be aware of?

I'm looking at a truck that spent the first 3-4 years in Canada and was sold at auction in May of this year in MO. The Carfax shows to be clean but I don't think that necessarily means shops in Canada participated in the Carfax program. All that shows up are registration records.

Are there any potential "gotcha's" with buying a vehicle that spent some time in Canada? Or with MO titles for that matter?

I'm asking cause I seem to recall cases where vehicles that have been totaled in other states get a clean title when titled in Tx.

They get a clean title in other states then get transferred back to texas as clean. I'd be more concerned with rust..

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
      I'd be more concerned with rust..
      This. And the speedo might also be in kilometers instead of miles which could affect your resale value here.

Also, the second language there is French, so it's possible you may have to replace all the airbag and seat belt warning labels with Spanish ones.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
        ....warning labels with Spanish ones.
        +1 innernet
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          +1 innernet
          same
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I believe it's law that a vehicle must be converted to miles before resale if a vehicle is exported for the sole purpose of resale.

It's possible the odometer has been replaced, do your math on the car fax and convert the Canadian kilometer readings to miles

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
              I believe it's law that a vehicle must be converted to miles before resale if a vehicle is exported for the sole purpose of resale.

It's possible the odometer has been replaced, do your math on the car fax and convert the Canadian kilometer readings to miles
              this is correct

Comment

I'll ask them to send me some pics of the under carriage. I didn't realize it but the Carfax records doesn't show mileage until May of this year when it was registered in Arkansas. Prior to that is blank, not even in kilometers. So if a vehicle gets converted, do they reflash the ECM? I thought odometers nowadays get their readings from the ECM.

and the truck...
                Last edited by GeorgeG.; 07-08-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  I'll ask them to send me some pics of the under carriage. I didn't realize it but the Carfax records doesn't show mileage until May of this year when it was registered in Arkansas. Prior to that is blank, not even in kilometers. So if a vehicle gets converted, do they reflash the ECM? I thought odometers nowadays get their readings from the ECM.

and the truck...
                  http://www.showmeautomall.net/invent...rrisonville-MO
                  All of mine get a new cluster when they are imported, not sure about the ecm though I can find out. Its going to have rust, they will just sand it down and paint over it. I wont buy anything under 15 now from Canada, got bit a few times with bad rust.

Comment

The last gen before current Chevrolet trucks had a separate module in the cluster for mileage. On the ford's and dodges you are correct though.

I would not be concerned with rust. I know of more than a few soldiers stationed in AK who would drive back to Texas regularly to visit family. With the truck being in Canada and then popping up in Missouri I would look for tattle tale signs of worn radio and interior pieces and heavily stained or used floor Matt's. At 45k the interior should be blemish free, if not the odometer has been tampered with

Comment

For that price you can get a brand new truck, maybe not as loaded, but pretty nice, and no miles, plus warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                        The last gen before current Chevrolet trucks had a separate module in the cluster for mileage. On the ford's and dodges you are correct though.

I would not be concerned with rust. I know of more than a few soldiers stationed in AK who would drive back to Texas regularly to visit family. With the truck being in Canada and then popping up in Missouri I would look for tattle tale signs of worn radio and interior pieces and heavily stained or used floor Matt's. At 45k the interior should be blemish free, if not the odometer has been tampered with
                        You obviously haven't seen the interiors of some of low mileage amd new cars I have. Far too many people beat the shit out of their cars and use them as a trash bin.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

just go buy a new truck. do you need all those fancy Denali upgrades? $36 grand yikes!!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            For that price you can get a brand new truck, maybe not as loaded, but pretty nice, and no miles, plus warranty.
                            you beat me to it! i agree

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                              You obviously haven't seen the interiors of some of low mileage amd new cars I have. Far too many people beat the shit out of their cars and use them as a trash bin.
                              Not even a minute after I posted that a 2015 escape with 30k miles with a destroyed interior and malfunctioning head unit came in asking me to check their fuses.

On a brand new 60k truck though I would expect more, and if the interior is trashed regardless, you want to stay away

Comment

Working...
                              X