Deco Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deco Tank

Well I got my new 3 gallon deco tank yesterday, has anyone ever had a small tank like this? I plan on doing a coral only setup with this tank where as my 65 gallon tank has fish only. Any tips on maintaining this tank would be appreciated. I remember a couple years ago I bought some parts off of a member here from a white vert, and he had a nice setup in his house, that guy would know what needs to be done for this tank. But anyways yeah any help I would appreciate!
    Last edited by Blakeski; 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM.
    Wanna see my care face???

The main thing will be water quality. Since you are going to do corals you are going to have a decent light. The water evaporation is what you are going to keep up with. This is a good forum to read. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/ I'll post up a pic when I get home of the 2 gallon I'm messing around with.

Comment

Yeah I have a small power compact on it, I have been talking with my friend about the tank and he is saying to just have rock in it. Sand is not needed in this setup...so he thinks anyways. I have a few pounds of live rock in it right now and I am cycling the water. Do you have a heater for your tank or not?

Comment

I have a heater in it for now. I doubt I will need it here in a few months because of summer. You can build a bad ass LED set up for that tank for under 75 bucks. I will be buying this bulb here in a few weeks http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...30-Bulb/Detail. I will be able to keep pretty much anything I want in the tank.

Comment

Subscribing. I have a 65 gal tank with ghost fish in it right now. Yup, they all died and I'm looking for idea's on a new setup. Looking for something different that won't have me freak out if rolling blackouts hit us again.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
            Subscribing. I have a 65 gal tank with ghost fish in it right now. Yup, they all died and I'm looking for idea's on a new setup. Looking for something different that won't have me freak out if rolling blackouts hit us again.
            I've also have a 24g JBJ nano. It's an all in one tank, very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
              Was the power outage what killed them? We had our power out for about 30 hours during that time and I expected our fish to be dead but they made it through with no issues? Our's were freshwater though so that might have been the difference.
              Originally posted by Nash B.
              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                Was the power outage what killed them? We had our power out for about 30 hours during that time and I expected our fish to be dead but they made it through with no issues? Our's were freshwater though so that might have been the difference.
                Salt water fish and corals are real sensative. Some corals can release toxins in a tank if there is a drastic change in temp. That would kill everything in a tank within hours.

Comment

So how long could normal freshwater fish survive in a 55 gal tank without power? I would have only thought 12 hours or something but mine went 30+ without any air pumps or water movement
                  Originally posted by Nash B.
                  Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                    So how long could normal freshwater fish survive in a 55 gal tank without power? I would have only thought 12 hours or something but mine went 30+ without any air pumps or water movement
                    Not sure. I had my saltwater without power for 10 hours in the summer time. I would have to put ziplock baggies of ice to keep the temp at a decent level. The things you do so that you don't loose hundreds of dollars in fish and corals!

Comment

Does anyone have any extra coral they could get rid of? I'm openly taking donations!

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
                        Does anyone have any extra coral they could get rid of? I'm openly taking donations!
                        You should go to Dallas North Aquarium. They had some frags for 5.00 and some other nice ones for 15.00.

Comment

Nah I never would buy from them, they are WAY to proud of their stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
                            Nah I never would buy from them, they are WAY to proud of their stuff!
                            I agree with that, but 5 dollar frags, not to bad. And it's always fun to look through the used crap they have.

Comment

Originally posted by cor302 View Post
                              I agree with that, but 5 dollar frags, not to bad. And it's always fun to look through the used crap they have.
                              This is true! I am actually about to go to Aquatic Design in Plano to see what they have. I'm getting a frag of Green Star Polyps from a close friend and also some live rock from him as well. I already had some live rock in my tank, but his has a bunch of coraline already on it. He might throw me some yellow poylps and shrooms too! I'm really excited about this tank. After doing some research I found this cool tank last night.

The other day, as I was playing with my (gasp!) freshwater nano-paludarium, it occurred to me that I have become a hardcore fan of nano aquariums. I was inspired to write of my new-found love for…

This one is also really cool and very similar to mine

Comment

Working...
                              X