Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about...

ABC Bartending school?

I'm thinking about trying to go this summer. I don't know the first thing about bartending but I know some money can be made there and I figured since I'm in college, why not? And I might even do it during grad school. (if I decide to go)

Any insight would be good. TIA
    Originally posted by 56482
    only on DFWMUstangs...

Lmao, I went there when I was young and dumb. Do NOT waste your time and more importantly money. The best thing to do is just go get on as a barback somewhere and learn it, then move your way up. Most places won't even look at you if you tell them you went there.

Comment

IMHO you'd be better off just going to work at a bar. theres really nothing a bartending "school" will teach you that you wouldn't pick up on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
        ABC Bartending school?

I'm thinking about trying to go this summer. I don't know the first thing about bartending but I know some money can be made there and I figured since I'm in college, why not? And I might even do it during grad school. (if I decide to go)

I went a couple years back before I started bartending and it's a pretty good school if you've never worked in the service industry. I went from the 8-5 class that goes for 2 weeks straight. I already had service industry experience but lacked the bar skills. Taught me a lot about making drinks, running a bar, and managing your time. Not sure if he's still the instructor but a guy named Mark was there when I attended. Mark is a great guy and will go to great lengths to help you find a job. The cool thing about the school is that even after you go through it you're welcome back to the classes as a refresher, or even back to use the bar at the school for practice for as long as they're open. They have a little booklet they train you through but most of your training is done behind a working bar, which imo is most helpful. You can read about drink recipes all you want but when it comes down to it the hands on experience with taking multiple drink orders and making them will benfit you most. Best place to start is going to be as a bar back somewhere.

EDIT: For those who say they went and never got a job after that... well I can't tell you what they did wrong. I got a full time bartending gig out of it as well as multiple side gigs. Some were just popping bottle and some were private parties serving a full bar, either way money is money.
        Originally posted by Jester
        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
        Originally posted by Denny
        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Had a friend who went there 3 or so years back. He never got a job as a bartender.
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
            ABC Bartending school?

I've heard it's fun, but realistically a waste. Most service industry employers are looking for experience gained hands-on. Work in most any restaurant or bar in any capacity and you'll inherently pick it up! Mixing the drinks is usually the easiest part of bar tending

Comment

Had a friend that went there, she never used it. Most bars said that is was BS and they train their people anyway.

Comment

Well I've never worked in the service industry so I figured this might be an instant foot in the door.

I'm assuming this is the same story for all bartending "schools"? It's mostly down to real world experience?
                Originally posted by 56482
                only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  Most bars train their people anyway.
                  this.

Comment

Worked at a Chilis bar for 4 years (started server) and heard it was a waste if time.

There's always on the job training and for what drinks you don't know how to make there's always a book/file-a-facts/iPhone near-by. Most people order the same stuff all the time anyway. Either way the best way is to just jump in for hands on and go.
                    2014 GT
                    2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

The number one thing to learn are drink recipe's. Those will be tailored to your crowd, and there are several handbooks/recipe sets that can be had. The next is learning the service industry. Learn to make the bar money and you make money. The quicker you can serve, the better the tips, etc. I've manged bars and been a bar tender for the better part of the last 3 years. I currently make 4-500 working 2 nights a week. If the concerts are bigger on the weekends, it can easily be close to 6-700. This is in a bar with a 400 capacity.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I ran a few bars & owned 2 of them... For guys, we did not hire any with experience. We had a few little tests to get an idea of their sense of urgency & common sense. For girls... well.... we were sexist pigs for the most part, but it sure did help profitability.

Comment

Working...
                        X