Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents: What to do about a terrible teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
    Just get permission to sit in class
    Good idea. I'll look into that.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
    I find it hilarious when people ask for advice, then get mad at you for the advice they ask for. Entertaining thread. Go ahead and record that shit since that seems to be all you want to do, then post it up to prove us wrong. Should be fun to watch all this unfold.
    Ironic that your own confirmation bias led you to this. I have demonstrated that I'm open to any strategies/tactics that will make a difference here. The only thing I've argued about is people suggesting that we just take it from this bad teacher without pushing back.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Ohhh...i see...you're right.
    Well, we agree on something.

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
    Did I miss the specific examples of the teacher being a bitch?
    No, I have purposely left out those kinds of details. The discussion isn't if this teacher sucks, but what to do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      Parents naturally want to defend their kids. I don't think anyone really means that your kid is an asshole, but you have to remember there are 3 sides to every story. I have to agree with what's being said here about suck it up and deal with it. I'll just be less of an asshole about it. Dealing with assholes is an essential life skill, and the earlier she learns that the better off she will be.

My son had a difficult teacher in 7th grade. His grades were great, but he's a bit of a class clown and talks a lot. I did my parental duties and talked to him about correcting the issue. Then it escalated to grounding. Then spanking. It got to the point where I spoke with his teacher at least twice a week. I spoke to a counselor. I spoke to the Vice Principal. They offered to switch his science class, but I took a week to think about it. Ultimately decided against it. Before we knew it, the school year was over. Those two had an understanding with each other. The next year, he stopped by her classroom almost every day to chat.

He now knows how to handle teachers that either don't like him, or have generally bad attitudes, etc.

For the record - It is legal to record conversations in the State of Texas so long as one party is aware it is being recorded, and you are one party, so take that for what it's worth. It's not at all what I would do, but there are no legal ramifications.
      I really do appreciate where you're coming from here and absolutely agree that putting up with the BS of it all is a huge part of school and especially helps to navigate in the real world. That said, I do think there is a line where you should stop taking crap and push back. I'm just trying to find out the best way to do so.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
      There are some things you can do to help the situation, but it doesn't sound like you want to go down that path. The best approach you can have is to sit down with the teacher in a polite, but direct way with specific examples and basically ask what your kid, and your family, can do to help improve things. Some teachers have a tendency to be mad at the world, so figure out what it is and then go from there. Good teaching moment for your kid.
      This has already happened. Maybe I wasn't clear from the start, but we've already tried nice, constructive dialog. Heck, I'm still in the middle of it. It just hasn't changed anything so far.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
      Be ready to be sued if anything comes of it. You've been warned.
      These are the two options -- nice as I suggested above and seriously show that you want to help or call her on the bullshit. Just be ready for it to blow up and you had better keep your cool when the shit storm starts.
      If we record audio, I'd rather not use it as some sort of nuclear option, but to have context myself so I'm making informed decisions.

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
      blake, give me a call . i have ran the gauntlet on this all the way to the end. i can give you first hand experience minus all this drama.
      Yes sir. Will do.

Comment

It pains me to do so, but I have to agree w ruffdaddy here. you don't know what making public spectacle of this will do to your daughters social life, but I can assure you none of it will be positive. If you're okay with "branding" her for the rest of her school years and likely much of her young adult life (at least within the confines of the group she goes to school with) I would tread lightly or do your work behind the scenes. It's normal to want to stand up for your kid but it might be a better life lesson to not do so in the manner you're wanting.

that said I'm not a parent and have no stake in the game, other than being one of those kids whose parent created hell for them over something that would have otherwise been a menial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Parents naturally want to defend their kids. I don't think anyone really means that your kid is an asshole, but you have to remember there are 3 sides to every story. I have to agree with what's being said here about suck it up and deal with it. I'll just be less of an asshole about it. Dealing with assholes is an essential life skill, and the earlier she learns that the better off she will be.

My son had a difficult teacher in 7th grade. His grades were great, but he's a bit of a class clown and talks a lot. I did my parental duties and talked to him about correcting the issue. Then it escalated to grounding. Then spanking. It got to the point where I spoke with his teacher at least twice a week. I spoke to a counselor. I spoke to the Vice Principal. They offered to switch his science class, but I took a week to think about it. Ultimately decided against it. Before we knew it, the school year was over. Those two had an understanding with each other. The next year, he stopped by her classroom almost every day to chat.

He now knows how to handle teachers that either don't like him, or have generally bad attitudes, etc.
          Previous enemies do tend to make the best friends.

Unless you're a Roman named Caesar.

Comment

It sounds like she's bipolar, and has trapped herself in a weird pattern of rage. She might need therapy more than anything.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              When I get pissed I take a break or look at my 401k / profit sharing acct balances, and then remember why I'm doing it. The big picture is I'm about to buy the family a beach house and it's damn well worth it. I will retire and live a pretty easy life compared to many other jobs I've had.
              You've already posted all your balances, good luck with that lmfao.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                You've already posted all your balances, good luck with that lmfao.
                Hardly. You saw one bank acct. You didn't see the 401k, profit sharing, stock investing, wife's 401k, kids savings, or my funny money accts (cyber currency), or the gold and silver stacks. But you are free to think whatever you like just like the morins in the NFL thinking White on black crime is out of control. That's what I love about this site. People assuming they know everything about someone based on the snippets posted here. Alex Capps comes to mind. Most here but hugged him until he went off the reservation. This is one of the most entertaining websites ever because everyone here loves to make assumptions without actually knowing diddly.

Maybe this thread should be teachers, what to do about hostile parents?

Comment

Hardly. You saw one bank acct. You didn't see the 401k, profit sharing, stock investing, wife's 401k, kids savings, or my funny money accts (cyber currency), or the gold and silver stacks. But you are free to think whatever you like just like the morins in the NFL thinking White on black crime is out of control. That's what I love about this site. People assuming they know everything about someone based on the snippets posted here. Alex Capps comes to mind. Most here but hugged him until he went off the reservation. This is one of the most entertaining websites ever because everyone here loves to make assumptions without actually knowing diddly.

Maybe this thread should be teachers, what to do about hostile parents?
                  No, you posted the whole lot on one of your many tirades, Mr Smallwood, and it's laughable given the amount of shit you spew.

Yes I'm avoiding this one. I made my point and took down personal info. The suite only cost us $150 for the night. It's all about who you know. The amenities were free too, again who you know.

And what I posted was liquid cash outside of investments. One of my investment accts is well over 100k and growing. 2nd is just under 100k should go over next year. Wife's is around 50k. I track it all in one spreadsheet like a lunatic. Future involves downsizing current house and buying something cheaper so we can get beach or mountain retreat next. When I retire I will have 2 or more places, as many as 4. None extravagant of course but I will have options.

Time to go work on the garage since it's going to need to host another car soon. I really need some car storage or a house with a bigger garage.

Have fun and don't judge a guy just because he prefers cargo shorts, Rangers t shirts, cheap tacos and cash cars for hobby cars. I grew up dirt poor and I can say my kids won't experience that unless they are stupid.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I think part of this issue with this thread is that you aren't giving any details to help us understand how bad the teacher really is. I mean, we've all had shitty teachers, but that was just part of growing up. If you expect anyone to understand or relate to your situation enough to offer solid advice or at least a constructive opinion, you're gonna have to help us see it a little closer to the way you see it by giving some specifics.

Regardless, I don't think the recording route is the way to go. Even if it exposes the teacher as being a super bitch, it's going to make you look like a crazy parent at the same time. It would probably make it harder for the school/district/whoever to then take your side, because they wouldn't want to encourage more parents to start sending their kids to school with recorders on them. Besides, it's just a shady way of dealing with a problem like this.

Oh, and that Anthony guy is clearly a trolling asshole. Good grief!

Comment

awesome. normal outline for a thread here.

i agree with the life lesson learned route. kid learns that the world is not just and some people just want to burn you down because they think they can. hopefully now she will recognize it and sort it out accordingly. i can only hope that if i give my kid anything it will be character and a strong constitution.

that said, some motherfuckers need to be reminded that being an asshole just to be an asshole has consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        No, you posted the whole lot on one of your many tirades, Mr Smallwood, and it's laughable given the amount of shit you spew.
                        lol i love when people show their ass in the most epic way. insecurity

Comment

Didnt read the entire thread.

I dealt with this twice, once the teacher ended up fired for sexual harassment, the other is a principle now. The first, several parents were involved in busting him on his BS. The second was a dispute with my mom, that turned really ugly when I tested out of all disabilities and it was just her being a bitch. She wasn't really well liked by the admin, but that didnt seem to make much difference.

Either way, your daughter is going to be in her class for the year (since there isnt an alternative) and her contract is through the end of the school year. They wont oust a teacher for much less than criminal activity, especially if the situation is that there is only one in a core subject. Same if she's on a vetted contract, she would have to quit or be fired for misconduct (usually takes criminal activity).
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            Didnt read the entire thread.

I dealt with this twice, once the teacher ended up fired for sexual harassment, the other is a principle now. The first, several parents were involved in busting him on his BS. The second was a dispute with my mom, that turned really ugly when I tested out of all disabilities and it was just her being a bitch. She wasn't really well liked by the admin, but that didnt seem to make much difference.

Either way, your daughter is going to be in her class for the year (since there isnt an alternative) and her contract is through the end of the school year. They wont oust a teacher for much less than criminal activity, especially if the situation is that there is only one in a core subject. Same if she's on a vetted contract, she would have to quit or be fired for misconduct (usually takes criminal activity).
                            I view this as a second motion for my idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                              I view this as a second motion for my idea.
                              I mean, we could try to stalk the shit out of her until we catch her at a bar, and get her loaded, then call in a drunk driver.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What happened to signing folks up for moving quotes?
                                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                                X