No announcement yet.

RIP Charles Emerson Winchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's too bad. He did a great job on that character. MASH is one of the all time greats.

Comment

He outclassed almost everyone else on the show as an actor, especially his predecessor, Larry Linville. Likable or not, he was very multi-dimensional.
      I have seen every episode more times than I can count, and watched it all when it was first-run.
      The summer after it went off the air, my family took a trip that included Washington D.C. Of course, we visited as much on The Smithsonian as we could, but spent a LOT of time in the Museum of American History. There, much to my delight, they had a MASH exhibit, complete with the actual swamp and OR. In the gift shop, you could buy an actual piece of the wood from Rosie's Bar, which I did. Sadly, I have since lost it.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        He outclassed almost everyone else on the show as an actor, especially his predecessor, Larry Linville. Likable or not, he was very multi-dimensional.
        I have seen every episode more times than I can count, and watched it all when it was first-run.
        The summer after it went off the air, my family took a trip that included Washington D.C. Of course, we visited as much on The Smithsonian as we could, but spent a LOT of time in the Museum of American History. There, much to my delight, they had a MASH exhibit, complete with the actual swamp and OR. In the gift shop, you could buy an actual piece of the wood from Rosie's Bar, which I did. Sadly, I have since lost it.
        I would love to have a piece of Rosie's bar. The main cast of actors was so good together. But even when new people came in they picked the right people for the character. I got into the show as a little kid around 1978 because I would watch it with my dad and got enough of the adult humor to find it funny. I've also seen every episode multie times and I still watch it today. As I got older I came to appreciate the realism they put effort into having. They had a bunch of people from that war as consultants to make it as authentic as possible.

I know the show isn't everybodys bag but it'll always get watched when I come across it.
        Last edited by AdRock; 03-05-2018, 02:02 PM.
        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
          As I got older I came to appreciate the realism they put effort into having..
          Same here. Wasnt til I was older that I "got" what the real meaning was..

Comment

I really liked the show, and his character.. I HATED Major Burns though.

I never really watched the show until I was stationed in Korea and the Armed Forces Network played several besides a day.. And where I was stationed there were only a couple of channels available, and not much else to do. I also got a kick out of the fact that they would mention city names that I recognized.

I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode, many multiple times.

Comment

I just realized this was someone who was in a few Star Trek and Stargate episodes.
              sigpic

Comment

Aw hell. Great show, great character, sad to see him go.

Comment

Working...
                X