Car audio people..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car audio people..

Purchased a set of Kenwood component speakers and a Pioneer 4 channel amp. Hooked everthing up and the front speakers are only producing highs. They have a built inline crossover for the tweeters and the tweeters hook directly to the woofer so I know the woofers are getting a signal.

Running the front speakers with no crossover from the amp just produces highs and turning the LPF on the amp produces no sound from the front speakers at all. Could that be a phasing issue? maybe I swapped pos/neg cables? Even if I did that they still should produce some kind of sound right?

What do you mean, 'the tweeters hook directly to the woofer' ?

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
      What do you mean, 'the tweeters hook directly to the woofer' ?
      That's a good question. Typically a a component speaker has a detached tweeter and then a dedicated crossover that mounts in the door.

Comment

Yes, and though I am not in touch with current car audio products or their various configuration capabilities, general good practices tell me to have a main signal available to the various crossover devices, with the crossover outputs available to the amp inputs, then the amp outputs driving the respective speakers..

.... and a high range speaker in parallel or really in anyway connected 'directly' to a woofer would be problematic in someway.

EW is the man on these things..

Comment

Many basic component sets have an in-line crossover on the tweeter only and you just connect the tweeter wires to the mid eliminating the typical crossover box. What is the model number of the amp?

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
            Many basic component sets have an in-line crossover on the tweeter only and you just connect the tweeter wires to the mid eliminating the typical crossover box. What is the model number of the amp?
            It is a Pioneer GM-D8604. I have not been able to do much in the ways of testing but today I am going to swap the RCA cables on the amp to see if the issue stays on the front speakers (perhaps bad amp) or if it moves to the rear speakers maybe it is a bad head unit or bad settings. The head unit is a Pioneer avh-x8822bhs. It has crossover settings but I believe it does both front and rear and does not have a way to change only the front.

Comment

Maybe a high pass filter is turned on in the deck. If you have the speakers out of phase, balancing to one side or the other will result in bass sound. Setting the balance in the center will result in less bass and kind of an echo-y sound.

Comment

Working...
              X