Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any of y'all help me put my 48re(auto trans) back together, or know anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any of y'all help me put my 48re(auto trans) back together, or know anyone?

*I posted this in the garage section but didnt get any suggestions so I re-posted it here.

I bought a 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins from a friend of mine a couple years ago. It snapped the input shaft on the tranny so he made me an incredible deal and I trailered it home. I made some deals with some aftermarket transmission companies to supply the parts in trade to be shown on my YouTube channel. So, I tore down the tranny and waited 10 months for the companies to send me the parts(one company kept one of my parts for 10 months). I went to put it back together, following the ATSG manual, and none of the measurements I got was anything near what I understand they need to be. Iv tried tearing it down and reassembling it and get the same wrong readings. This truck was dyno'd @ 515hp to the rear wheels. So, the aftermarket companies who wanted to collaborate sent me the components for a tranny that'll withstand up to 750hp.
    I dont want to guess at anything and the only automatic tranny Iv ever rebuilt was at UTI back in 2001.
    I'm willing to pay anyone for their time or even pay a shop. The only catch is that I want to be there so I can learn what I'm doing wrong as well as be able to shoot video for the youtube channel.
    Thanks for any help!

You need a mechanic / artist to rebuild a good auto. I avoid them. When I was young and working part time in a shop, I helped rebuild 8 autos for cars that were to be sold. We did them all the same and had to remove two and go through them again. Getting all the components set so they shift right isn’t as obvious as bad gears and synchros.

Comment

Bucks transmission has done a couple for me.

One had a issue and they it right

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Made it right.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Comment

The only measuring you really have to do is on the clutch plate stack. Everything else is extremely simple as long as you can read the directions on how to reassemble a valve body. What part are you getting odd measurements from?
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            The only measuring you really have to do is on the clutch plate stack. Everything else is extremely simple as long as you can read the directions on how to reassemble a valve body. What part are you getting odd measurements from?
            Those are kind of a pain in the ass. I think he's having a issue with final run out at the pump. You can always grind the surface on a friction to loosen up a clutch pack. When running aftermarket input and output sometimes you've got run out issues.

A Ford 5r110w is a cake walk by comparison. A bud and I went through one of those in a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
              Those are kind of a pain in the ass. I think he's having a issue with final run out at the pump. You can always grind the surface on a friction to loosen up a clutch pack. When running aftermarket input and output sometimes you've got run out issues.

A Ford 5r110w is a cake walk by comparison. A bud and I went through one of those in a few hours.
              I have one of the same Transmissions taken apart at my shop but it's out of a 2005 Dodge Cummings. I don't think I've ever taken a good hard look at it to see how the front pump goes together. Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't the only manufacturer who makes hard parts for these transmission Sonex and isn't their stuff considered OE quality for fit and finish?
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have one of the same Transmissions taken apart at my shop but it's out of a 2005 Dodge Cummings. I don't think I've ever taken a good hard look at it to see how the front pump goes together. Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't the only manufacturer who makes hard parts for these transmission Sonex and isn't their stuff considered OE quality for fit and finish?
                He's using some aftermarket parts for hard parts. I've run into issues with those. The input shafts and output shafts can make them require some moving of other things up and down in the case.

Modern transmissions are way easier than that era. One of my childhood friends just rebuilt a 6spd auto in a 5.0 f150. Says it was one of the easiest he's ever done and commended Ford on it. No more lip seals to nick/cut.

Comment

He's using some aftermarket parts for hard parts. I've run into issues with those. The input shafts and output shafts can make them require some moving of other things up and down in the case.

Modern transmissions are way easier than that era. One of my childhood friends just rebuilt a 6spd auto in a 5.0 f150. Says it was one of the easiest he's ever done and commended Ford on it. No more lip seals to nick/cut.

Sonnax is good shit. But that's solenoid packs mainly. Modern valve bodies are way more simple than a aod for example.

Comment

Here's one coming apart. This guy seems to know a lot about all kinds of automatics....

Comment

Some of the issues I'm having is getting the o.d. piston to o.d. clutch hub clearance. The ATSG manual give specs for the spacer ring thickness but every time I measure it I'm .100 off. The measurement I should be getting is .7336-.8011. The measurement I'm getting is .620.
                      I'm kind of a dense learner apparently because I have to read, watch, then do it with my own hands before I'll understand how to do something.

Comment

Buy a entire od assembly already built. The last one of those i did was that because it sucks. They added od to a 3 speed transmission. That entire transmission makes run out hard. What most call end play maybe. You can always take a shim to a machine shop and remove a few thousandths.

I'm putting a 4r100 behind my 1k hp 5.9 if that tells you anything.

Comment

Those videos that the Precision Transmission guys put out are both entertaining and interesting

I kinda' fancied myself an auto trans tech back in my Mopar days, could do those 727 & 904 Torqueflites pretty well.

No way I'd attempt one of 'em these days... that's what transmission shops are for.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                            Those videos that the Precision Transmission guys put out are both entertaining and interesting

I kinda' fancied myself an auto trans tech back in my Mopar days, could do those 727 & 904 Torqueflites pretty well.

No way I'd attempt one of 'em these days... that's what transmission shops are for.

mardyn
                            I've actually been trying to get ahold of those guys. I wrote them several months ago about bringing the project to them, paying them, and shooting a YouTube video with them so I could promote them on my channel. They wrote back and said it sounded like an awesome project! So couple weeks went by and I've gotten 0 responses. I dont want to drive out to Amarillo without them knowing I'm coming. They might've taken a break during the covid deal so who knows.

Comment

Working...
                            X