Power Outage..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
    What it is is these utility companies now are having to pay spot pricing on the market because their supply from the operators is drying up due to demand. That’s why. Guarantee it.
    That is kind of what I was getting at. Either pay spot pricing that you have to sell to me at $.09 KWh per a contract or call ERCOT and say "Listen Frank, you remember when you and Betty went to the Bahamas and stayed at my house, oh yea that was great, well can you get me out of this?". It sounds fanciful and like a conspiracy theory or something from a movie but that shit happens all the time. When it comes to politics and big money there are no coincidences.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

What it is is these utility companies now are having to pay spot pricing on the market because their supply from the operators is drying up due to demand. That’s why. Guarantee it.
      Does a reseller have the ability to remotely cut power? If so I'd imagine there is going to be a pretty easy to follow paper trail.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
        Since Sunday night/Monday morning we have been on an average of 45 on / 45 off schedule... Sometimes I get 30 off and 60 on but I also had 2.5 hours off yesterday. We have gas range, water heater, and furnace and the only time it's been a problem was this morning when all the neighborhood idiots were using their gas log fireplace wasting gas and producing next to no heat.

I've gone through quite a bit of my firewood but I've got enough to last the rest of the week. No pipe issues yet other than my outdoor faucets are frozen but not sure if damaged/burst, not sure if there's a way to tell until it thaws?

Oh, and I'm in Little Elm, like 432/Eldorado area on Coserv cause it's them or nothing.
        Same here (Coserv). Had a 4 hour down yesterday. House sees a several degree drop per hour. We haven’t broken through the 50s yet, but we’ve gotten close.

What sucks is that our furnace is gas, but the control units are electric. We have maintained hot water throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          Does a reseller have the ability to remotely cut power? If so I'd imagine there is going to be a pretty easy to follow paper trail.
          That I don’t know. My knowledge of natural gas ends at the pipeline. Lol. Everything before then I could tell you. Utilities I imagine are pretty complex especially now that it’s all deregulated.

Comment

" Even my house is without electricity"

Bill Magness CEO Ercot

Where's the Humanity !!!!!!!
            sigpic
            "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
            through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
            We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
            my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Physically I am sure that they do not. If you call and cancel your power with any reseller they put in an order with Oncor to have someone go out and physically shut it off at the house.
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Physically I am sure that they do not. If you call and cancel your power with any reseller they put in an order with Oncor to have someone go out and physically shut it off at the house.
                Yeah that's my understanding as well. They literally either pull the meter or disconnect from the utility pole. I've seen several people post that it's resellers who don't want to pay outrageous wholesale rates so they cut customers. It's not them, they don't have the ability. It's Oncor in my case cutting power at the direction of ERCOT.

Mine was off this morning for exactly 30 minutes btw. As far as I know we're not in any special tiers for power, just lucky I guess. We may be on the same grid as the fire station and a lift pump but they are 1/2 a mile away.

Comment

A wellhead most definitely can freeze but it's not caused by cold weather and it is not necessarily water that is freezing. Any gas can freeze if there's a large enough pressure drop and a surface for the ice to condense on to.

Edit: Want to hear something funny? After working in the cold for a few days now I have to sleep with a window open. My dogs are LOVING it.
                  Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-17-2021, 09:41 AM.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You still using that little Yellow Robin 3500 generator?

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    Soooo, two days ago we lost power. It was out for 8 hours the day before that and then they started rolling power on for 6 minutes then tapping it off for about 10 seconds. Just enough to turn everyone's heaters off and blow up my refrigerator. My new Train was still kicking ass until the neighborhood went dead. My mom in Duncanville, the same thing, glad I had a cord of seasoned fire wood I took her last week. I have a natural gas fire place and it is big as fuck but not efficient. My faucets are dripping and and I have NG water heater which is lifesaving also. I am sitting at 48 degrees tonight so not horrible. Wife and dogs are at her parents in the nice part of town with zero issues. I whipped out my generator tonight, thought I could run my furnace on it since it is 120 and it even has a plug. My neighbor mentioned it to me tonight and I got excited. Well hell no the AC unit doesn't detect a ground. Something about the GFCI on it or who the fuck knows. Pond frozen solid, pool frozen, the anti freeze system no bueno with no power. Luckily it was sucking air from the last time it froze and blew the pipes off. Maybe when it powered down I had enough room for expansion. Just trying to keep the ole fort alive here. Currently using the genny to save my fish in the house and type this ole message.

Go to work, move the elderly around with no power, clear accidents, water mains blowing everywhere or frozen, trying to keep the station from freezing up, get home, try and save the house. Rinse wash repeat. Oh yeah I need to go order a fridge! The good news is I moved most of my good s to work so I make my coffee and breakfast there when I get in and then eat before I leave.

Oh and I did get a warning to try and save NG as much as possible and there are cities now running out of gasoline. Our Whataburger has been overrun every day also. 2020 said hey I got coronavirus, 2021 said hold my beer bitches.

Comment

As far as being spotty, rolling blackouts, tiered priority is a real thing. If you’re on the same grid as a hospital, school, police station, etc, you’re less likely to be subjected to them. When it comes to outages, again, tier 1 gets priority in being fixed first. That why we left our house and came out to Matt’s. His neighborhood is directly behind a school.

Also, a buddy of mine’s brother works at a NG facility in Northern OK and he posted pics yesterday. That bitch is frozen the fuck over. “Doesn’t freeze” my ass.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

Also, a buddy of mine’s brother works at a NG facility in Northern OK and he posted pics yesterday. That bitch is frozen the fuck over. “Doesn’t freeze” my ass.
                        Active flowing well heads don’t freeze. A facility and a drilling site are two substantially different things. A compressor station? A cryogenic station? Could you be more specific?

Comment

Active flowing well heads don’t freeze. A facility and a drilling site are two substantially different things. A compressor station? A cryogenic station? Could you be more specific?
                          Any and every gas that exists can freeze if there is a pressure drop when it passes through anything that has a restriction even a radiused fitting. If the pressure on one side is higher than the pressure on the other side then ice will form even if that ice consists of the gas petroleum product itself and not water. As soon as the flow is reduced ice formation stops, the ice melts, the flow starts up again, and ice starts forming again. This is an issue that every single system that deals with a pressurized gas has to deal with. We even lost a submarine because of this once.
                          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-17-2021, 01:09 PM.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            Any and every gas that exists can freeze if there is a pressure drop when it passes through anything that has a restriction even a radiused fitting. If the pressure on one side is higher than the pressure on the other side then ice will form even if that ice consists of the gas petroleum product itself and not water. As soon as the flow is reduced ice formation stops, the ice melts, the flow starts up again, and I starts forming again. This is an issue that every single system that deals with a pressurized gas has to deal with. We even lost a submarine because of this once.
                            They don’t take pressure drops at the wellhead, pressure drops are taken after the wellhead down the line for different reasons such as separation of product or flow control. These devices are better known as chokes.

Comment

They don’t take pressure drops at the wellhead, pressure drops are taken after the wellhead down the line for different reasons such as separation of product or flow control. These devices are better known as chokes.
                              You don't know shit about gas or liquid flow do you? There is a pressure drop anytime a liquid or gas passes through a restriction even if that restriction is just a straight length of pipe. There are charts you can find online that tell you exactly how much of a flow loss there is per fitting or length of pipe. Just look up something called a head loss chart and start reading.

Edit: Even the most basic fluid dynamics course teaches you about this. Hell, I took a basic course at El Centro College back in the day.

Comment

Oh I forgot whom I’m talking to, the guy who knows everybody and everything. Yeah I don’t know shit I only used to instal wellheads after drilling and before production. But please go on.

You’re assuming you know the reservoir pressure as well as the casing and tubing pressures for a typical gas well. I’d be willing to bet you don’t. I’d also be willing to bet the pressure drop you seem to think is happening isn’t as substantial across a 18,000ft length to surface.

Comment

Working...
                                X