Ford is crazy, OEM parts prices are insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford is crazy, OEM parts prices are insane

Went to the Ford service dept. today to get an oil change and see about some recalls on the Transit Connect. While we were there checked on how much a passenger side mirror, glass only would cost. He checked and said $195! WTF, it is not the entire mirror, just the glass!

Ordered one from Amazon for $26

I sell aftermarket parts and people in the business talk a lot of crap about them because they are cheaply made. But can you imagine what the OEM pricing would be if they had it there way and had ZERO competition.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

I was going to ask about that kinda/sorta. I was curious how the restoration parts market is doing? Lord knows the restored/completed/semi-completed classic car market has shot up in value majorly. That tells me that restoring them is getting more expensive or there's a run on stuff. Or like everything else, people think they can get an arm and a leg for things and other people will pay it.

Comment

I was at Orielys one day and the Ford tech popped in to pick up brake parts. I was like WTF and the guy at the counter says every day all day. Lying bitches.

My 08 Vic I paid the mechanic for factory parts, MF shakes when the wind blows. Horseshit.

Provably the main reason I do all my own work.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          I was at Orielys one day and the Ford tech popped in to pick up brake parts. I was like WTF and the guy at the counter says every day all day. Lying bitches.

My 08 Vic I paid the mechanic for factory parts, MF shakes when the wind blows. Horseshit.

Provably the main reason I do all my own work.
          That's the problem I've run into. No matter how detailed the directions I give are or how much I'm willing to pay no one ever does the work to my satisfaction.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            Oh yeah, thats been going on for a long time. When 'Oreille's fist came down here and started delivering, I've seen that them at all new car Stealerships delivering after market parts to the service dept side. I do know that they also carry Motorcraft, AC Delco, Mopar, etc., but you know most of the time they ain't using them.
            And they sell Norton, 3-M and DuPont automtive paint supplies as well to Stealership collision centers.
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I could have told you all this back in the 90's. And a lot, if not all, at this point, of those AC Delco etc. parts are made by other suppliers that also supply the aftermarket with literally the exact same part even with their name stamped on it in some cases with a Motorcraft box. Dealerships were frequently some our biggest accounts. Doesn't stop the 'Murica! morons from coming in and forking out an extra $40 for that pretty box though.

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post
                I sell aftermarket parts and people in the business talk a lot of crap about them because they are cheaply made. But can you imagine what the OEM pricing would be if they had it there way and had ZERO competition.
                Ask Tesla owners. They control manufacturing, distribution and sales of their parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                  I was going to ask about that kinda/sorta. I was curious how the restoration parts market is doing? Lord knows the restored/completed/semi-completed classic car market has shot up in value majorly. That tells me that restoring them is getting more expensive or there's a run on stuff. Or like everything else, people think they can get an arm and a leg for things and other people will pay it.
                  We have a part of our company that sells resto parts. Record sales in 2020 as people where at home and finishing projects. (Much like how home projects shot up.)
                  1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                  1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                  2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    Supplies got REAL tight lately. I waited 3 months for some brake stuff for a G body I was working on. Ended up cancelling the order and making our own brackets and putting some Wilwoods on. Tires are the next big short. Racers are having trouble getting tires now and that will creep into the regular tire market soon. buy now if you need them..

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                      Supplies got REAL tight lately. I waited 3 months for some brake stuff for a G body I was working on. Ended up cancelling the order and making our own brackets and putting some Wilwoods on. Tires are the next big short. Racers are having trouble getting tires now and that will creep into the regular tire market soon. buy now if you need them..
                      I'm starting to get pissed off waiting for a vinyl top for a project I'm working on. Website says 4-6 days, it's been 7 weeks. I got told two weeks, three weeks ago. Covid fucked everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        I got told two weeks, three weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                          Haha. One of my favorite movies.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            I'm starting to get pissed off waiting for a vinyl top for a project I'm working on. Website says 4-6 days, it's been 7 weeks. I got told two weeks, three weeks ago. Covid fucked everything up.
                            No, but close. The response to COVID fucked everything up.... almost like it was the......

Comment

Relax, Joe's gonna spend another $6 trillion to fix these problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X