Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about riding mower repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about riding mower repair?

Have a Troy-Bilt 42" Riding mower, its about 3 months old and I think the PTO clutch has already burnt out. I don't want to fuck with warranty because that's always a pain in the dick, I'd rather do it myself than deal with the go around and wait of that bullshit. I've already had to change the head gasket because it was pouring oil onto the exhaust. The PTO wont engage at all. Took the deck off and the pulleys are good, belt is good, cable is good, fuse is good. That's the only thing I can think of. I'm thinking of buying a clutch assembly and doing it myself, seems pretty easy. What do you think?

Parts swaps aren’t bad. Small engine repair is a pain in the ass though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
      It wont be hard to repair, I can lift it up with my large tractor since I have forks and work underneath pretty easily. The thing I'm concerned about is spending 100 bucks on a clutch assembly and that not be the problem, lol.

Comment

See if the clutch wires show 12+ volts when engaged, if it does and the clutch doesn't click then it's bad. Also you can unplug the clutch and check for continuity between the 2 wires, if it's open it's bad. Or give it a 12 volt power and ground to the clutch wires, if it doesn't click, it's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
          See if the clutch wires show 12+ volts when engaged, if it does and the clutch doesn't click then it's bad. Also you can unplug the clutch and check for continuity between the 2 wires, if it's open it's bad. Or give it a 12 volt power and ground to the clutch wires, if it doesn't click, it's bad.
          Thank you, I will try that. I also thought maybe there's a solenoid or relay somewhere, but the only ones I can find on a parts diagram is for the main starter and the engine runs fine. I am not sure where ones for the PTO would be, but I would think there would be a separate set of solenoid/relay. It's really hard to find a parts breakout for this thing online. The manual of course gives me nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Naw, that's my side hustle. I do pretty well part time. Sure beats mowing lawns.

Comment

My mower JD 324 had an interlock system tie to t0 the seat.
              The control unit would be over $100. No start and no pto.

I wired past the seat interlock system (shades of 1974-75 I
              made lots of $$$ killing seat belt interlocks on cars) then
              disconnected mag kill wire and added a remote starter switch
              to the starter solenoid.

Comment

Working...
              X