Company policy allowing concealed carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company policy allowing concealed carry

So I'm compiling an employee handbook for my small business (engineering office to over simplify). As a long-time LTC holder and a believer in the right to carry, I'm strongly leaning towards a policy allowing employees to concealed carry while at work. My intention is that an employee must request permission and that I can revoke the right of any employee to carry at any time and for any reason.

Do any of you have experience with this? I know that today's political climate makes me an oddball here. When it comes to liability, Texas law says an employer cannot be held liable for any gun crime, accident, etc. resulting in allowing an employee to carry a weapon when state law permits it.

I will not, under any circumstance, allow open carry. But I'm all for concealed carry.

What say you?

Also, if you've seen a copy of a company policy that is concealed carry friendly, I would love to see it. I've google'd 10 different times and cannot find anything except policies restricting any and all weapons.

Make it your choice who can carry. Some people are never going to meet my criteria.

Comment

I'd put up a 30.07 sign to stop any open carry and leave it at that.

Concealed means concealed, so how are you really going to monitor everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
        Make it your choice who can carry. Some people are never going to meet my criteria.
        I think I said that above, but that's my intent. If I do this, it would be clearly outlined in the employee handbook (that employees must sign) that the policy is strictly at my discretion and can be taken away for any reason at any time.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        I'd put up a 30.07 sign to stop any open carry and leave it at that.

I intend to put up the 30.07 sign, but I'm not sure about a completely open-ended policy for concealed carry. I feel I should give myself the ability to restrict concealed carry, especially now that Texas doesn't require CHL so anyone of age can legally carry (except felons or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          I feel I should give myself the ability to restrict concealed carry, especially now that Texas doesn't require CHL so anyone of age can legally carry (except felons or whatever).
          I get it, so don't think I'm against you, but...
          Do you envision this being a daily enforcement thing, or just an "in case I want to fire someone one day" thing?
          Like I said earlier, concealed means concealed. Unless you're patting them down or doing a metal detector wanding everyday when they come in how are you really going to enforce it?

And what does enforcement really get you in the end - an emotional safe space? IMO, if you don't trust them to concealed carry then you don't trust them. Period. So why even employ them? Are you banning knives also?

Personal anecdote - my company is European, they have their own views on things (likely anti-gun, i know very well that I cant expense skeet shooting days with customers) but back in olden times when we could go to offices at will I always had a Sig P365 XL in my laptop bag, and no one knew... and here I am...

Trust your people, or don't. End of story.
          Last edited by Strychnine; 11-04-2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Do you envision this being a daily enforcement thing, or just an "in case I want to fire someone one day" thing?
            Like I said earlier, concealed means concealed. Unless you're patting them down or doing a metal detector wanding everyday when they come in how are you really going to enforce it?

And what does enforcement really get you in the end - an emotional safe space? IMO, if you don't trust them to concealed carry then you don't trust them. Period. So why even employ them? Are you banning knives also?

Personal anecdote - my company is European, they have their own views on things (likely anti-gun, i know very well that I cant expense skeet shooting days with customers) but back in olden times when we could go to offices at will I always had a Sig P365 XL in my laptop bag, and no one knew... and here I am...

This is pretty much my view on it too, maybe just put in the employee handbook that in order to carry concealed they must have a valid LTC so they are at least aware of the laws related to carry. It's your company, your policy, but I see it being tough to enforce.
            Originally posted by stevo
            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I always had a Sig P365 XL in my laptop bag, and no one knew... and here I am...

I like this philosophy. This is what I did, however a different method of carrying.
              Don’t ask, don’t tell. If they are legally allowed to carry then trust them to make that decision. Don’t make it complicated.

Comment

Of course I won't be wanding someone. I'd say it's no different than expecting people not to steal. You won't know they're doing it until they get caught and you discipline accordingly.

I'm not looking for an emotional safe space. Nothing more than giving myself the ability to restrict some hothead from carrying a gun. Not everyone has the same temperament.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                This is pretty much my view on it too, maybe just put in the employee handbook that in order to carry concealed they must have a valid LTC so they are at least aware of the laws related to carry. It's your company, your policy, but I see it being tough to enforce.
                That's actually not a bad idea. Just being over 21 years old doesn't make someone qualified to carry a gun. Although some of the people in my CHL training classes likely shouldn't be carrying... lol.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                Don’t ask, don’t tell. If they are legally allowed to carry then trust them to make that decision. Don’t make it complicated.
                This is why I'm discussing it here. The goal is to allow concealed carry without making it difficult, but hopefully giving myself an option to restrict if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                  Of course I won't be wanding someone. I'd say it's no different than expecting people not to steal. You won't know they're doing it until they get caught and you discipline accordingly.

I'm not looking for an emotional safe space. Nothing more than giving myself the ability to restrict some hothead from carrying a gun. Not everyone has the same temperament.

I just looked in our employee manual, and this is a pretty all encompassing statement

"The following are some examples of conduct that is prohibited by ____ and which will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination, potentially for a first offense in ____'s sole discretion. This is a list of examples only and is not an exhaustive list of all reasons an employee may be disciplined or terminated. Such conduct includes, but is not limited to:

Unlawful possession or use of firearms or any other weapons in ____ buildings, in ____ vehicles, and while performing ____ business."

Comment

Unlawful possession or use of firearms or any other weapons in ____ buildings, in ____ vehicles, and while performing ____ business."[/I]
                    haha that was the exact same verbiage in our company handbook as well. It's moot now because I no longer work there, but if it came down to it and I needed it, oh well I'm terminated, but safe. And I know lots of people that carried in vehicle. They can fuck off.

Comment

He'll have to frisk them, thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
                      X