Cassette Deck Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassette Deck Repair

Anywhere local that can repair an Alpine tape deck? Stereo works fine, tape makes noise, but nothing plays. Not sure if it's the reel motor or the head.
    G'Day Mate

You tried running a cleaner tape thru it?
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      You tried running a cleaner tape thru it?
      I haven't yet, but I think the head is picking up, the motor just isn't spinning the reel.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        I haven't yet, but I think the head is picking up, the motor just isn't spinning the reel.
        Don't those fuckers have little rubber bands that turn them. I remember dissecting a few back in the day.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          Don't those fuckers have little rubber bands that turn them. I remember dissecting a few back in the day.
          Most do. It's usually a dinky little V belt, but I've fixed them with an O-ring before.

Comment

The head is a fixed object...there's nothing wrong with it. I will 100% guarantee it needs new belts. It's not a difficult thing to fix. Whats the model number? This is something I used to do as a hobby to make money..buy them at pawn shops or flea markets not working, clean em and toss on some belts, check/adjust the head alignment (azimuth), and sell em for 3 times what I paid for them (if not more).

Comment

It's an Alpine TDM-7543
              G'Day Mate

Comment

It's an Alpine TDM-7543
                You can get the belts here:

They are not that hard to replace, but if you want to order them and bring it over I can change them for you and we can test it with my power supply.

Edit, just realized the big belt has been discontinued by Alpine. Let me do a little searching and see who else sells a compatible set.

Looks like a universal 100 pc. belt kit from Ebay might be the easiest option. They're like 13 bucks from China...sort thru them and find the ones that fit best and toss the rest.

Comment

You could probably re-purpose the remainder as Cock Rings, at our age's we need all the help we can get...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                    You can get the belts here:

They are not that hard to replace, but if you want to order them and bring it over I can change them for you and we can test it with my power supply.

Edit, just realized the big belt has been discontinued by Alpine. Let me do a little searching and see who else sells a compatible set.

Looks like a universal 100 pc. belt kit from Ebay might be the easiest option. They're like 13 bucks from China...sort thru them and find the ones that fit best and toss the rest.
                    Thanks for the info, I'm going to dig into it and verify the belt(s) are the issue.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    You could probably re-purpose the remainder as Cock Rings, at our age's we need all the help we can get...
                    Ummm....
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

Belt is fubar'd, wrapped around the motor shaft like ole JB on an 8 year old.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Belt is fubar'd, wrapped around the motor shaft like ole JB on an 8 year old.
                        Not surprised that thing dates back to about 1997 or so. There are supposed to be 2 belts on it.

Comment

Not surprised that thing dates back to about 1997 or so. There are supposed to be 2 belts on it.
                          Yeah, one short belt drives the gears for the splined drives, the longer belt drives the larger wheels.

I've got a kit coming from amazon today so hopefully I can get this thing working. I've got so many old country and rock tapes that need to be put to use.

This is for my Chevelle and I'd love to have a twin knob tape deck similar to stock, but I love Alpine and I can't find anything that'll fit without cutting the dash, so I guess this one will have to work.

I think I'm going to fab up an enclosure to mount it under the dash so I don't have to cut.
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Yeah, one short belt drives the gears for the splined drives, the longer belt drives the larger wheels.

I've got a kit coming from amazon today so hopefully I can get this thing working. I've got so many old country and rock tapes that need to be put to use.

This is for my Chevelle and I'd love to have a twin knob tape deck similar to stock, but I love Alpine and I can't find anything that'll fit without cutting the dash, so I guess this one will have to work.

I think I'm going to fab up an enclosure to mount it under the dash so I don't have to cut.
                            Dude you should be looking on Ebay...there's quite a few NICE 2 shaft cassette decks from various brands like Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic and others...most of the sellers are asking stupid high prices for them but every once in a while they pop up from reasonable sellers and you can snag a good deal for under 100 bucks.

Comment

Dude you should be looking on Ebay...there's quite a few NICE 2 shaft cassette decks from various brands like Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic and others...most of the sellers are asking stupid high prices for them but every once in a while they pop up from reasonable sellers and you can snag a good deal for under 100 bucks.
                              Yeah, I've been looking, but I'm not paying those exorbitant prices. I'd love to come across one that would slip right in. Been through two of those shitty retro looking custom audio decks.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                              X