Big Green Egge people, in here please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Green Egge people, in here please

Looking at maybe getting one of these smokers/grills. Anyone around the Ft Worth area, where did you purcahse yours?

Looking at the 5 sizes, medium looks to be about right, since there are usually 2 of us to cook for, but occasionally more.

I've never heard anything bad about these things, other than you have to get used to using one if your background has been using a propane grill like mine!

DOH... How do you like it, is it worth the $$$

Couple peeps I know have them and love them. Pretty $$$$. They grilled/smoked and it does taste pretty damn good. They both have the extra large grill. They always talk about how little "babysitting" you do when smoking. It does keep the temp at a constant degree pretty good. Me personally, not sure if I would get one.

Comment

parents love theirs. They pretty much stopped using the grill and use the BGE all the time. And no, they arnt cheap.

Comment

Half the fun is tending the fire on a traditional smoker IMO. Sure, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Barry (SSMAN) has one and swears by it. Said he'd never go back if I recall correctly.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Costsco has a set up just like the big green egg for 499.00 right now. I almost bought one the other day. I have been wanting to try one.
          Last edited by kingjason; 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM. Reason: price
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            Costsco has a set up just like the big green egg for 599.00 right now. I almost bought one the other day. I have been wanting to try one.
            Yeah, I saw one knock-off brand at Lowes yesterday and it reminded me that I wanted one! A guy I work with bought one, and his parents did too and they both love it.

Comment

I bought a big offset smoker a few years ago and realized I spent too much $ for too much smoker. In hindsight I would get the big Weber Smokey Mtn cooker. For a grill, I'd get the same grill I have now which is a Weber.

Comment

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Half the fun is tending the fire on a traditional smoker IMO. Sure, it can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
                  Sitting on the patio, smoking a pork shoulder, listening to Outlaw Country on Sirius and drinking about 6 beers. It's a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Comment

I have one, and I will only own this brand from now on. Do not get the knock off brand(s). I've smoked ribs/brisket, cooked burgers, the best steaks, whole chickens, etc.

Some people say it takes too long vs. gas grills or whatever... not true if you ask me. Light it, open the vents (1 top, 1 bottom), come back 15 minutes later, set your temp (vent control), come back 5 minutes later, grill... I cook my steaks about 550, and I can make a $4 HEB steak taste better than any $20 steak from Logans, Texas L&C, Texas RH, Outback, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny c View Post
                      I have one, and I will only own this brand from now on. Do not get the knock off brand(s). I've smoked ribs/brisket, cooked burgers, the best steaks, whole chickens, etc.

Some people say it takes too long vs. gas grills or whatever... not true if you ask me. Light it, open the vents (1 top, 1 bottom), come back 15 minutes later, set your temp (vent control), come back 5 minutes later, grill... I cook my steaks about 550, and I can make a $4 HEB steak taste better than any $20 steak from Logans, Texas L&C, Texas RH, Outback, etc.
                      How does it comapre to the $30 steaks tho?

Comment

How much are these things? The simple fact that they dont allow internet sales of this thing is a big downside for me.

Comment

Barbeques Galore
                          Fort Worth
                          5824 South West Loop 820
                          Fort Worth TX, 76132

Phone: 817-569-9960 http://www.bbqgalore.com/bbq_store/fort-worth/

I have had mine for about 4 years and love it. Will never go back to propane. Get the large or extra large. They sell it with the table but if you have any building skills I recommend you download the PDF of the table from the Big Green Egg site and save yourself about 200.
                          I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

this stuff is too rich for my blood.

I can't bring myself to spend $500 on a grill/smoker.

But maybe I am just really cheap.

Comment

I have one (medium sized) and love it. Would prefer the next larger size though, since I cook for guest quite often. I will assume it's about the best "grill" out there, and smoking is very good too, for a smaller portion. Using their natural charcoal is also expensive but a must in order to get the best use/effect from it.

They come with a diverter for smoking/baking. You can cook beer can chicken using it and it's the best I've ever had. You can also use it (diverter) for baking pizza or bread/biscuits on.

The bad? They are stupid expensive, so I would suggest finding one on CL for cheaper than new. They also have a felt liner on the lid and base that will come off with time and you have to replace it, essentially gluing one back on. Kind of lame if you ask me.

I still have my gas grill and like it, and probably will never give it up. I can cook on it just fine too.

Also, get the electric coil starter too. It makes lighting a breeze.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X