86 GT LSX Turbo Main Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
    You mean you can't do a LSX swap for $800 ?
    No kidding dude. I hope I can save some people from starting this big of a undertaking - or at least realize how much it really cost. Take your budget and triple it. I did spend some money in unnecessary areas- ie $800 on seats, $550 on a trans rebuild even though the trans may have been ok. I'll post up my cost breakdown after I get it going
    Last edited by Cobraman; 07-16-2015, 09:53 AM.
    2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
      No kidding dude. I hope I can save some people from starting this big of a undertaking - or at least realize how much it really cost. Take your budget and triple it. I did spend some money in unnecessary areas- ie $800 on seats, $550 on a trans rebuild even though the trans may have been ok. I'll post up my cost breakdown after I get it going
      So a 351 swap really is cheaper?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thats not bad. Im going to end up around 12k in mine. All the little crap adds up.

Id really like to see the alinement specs on that car. Ive got the same stuff except mine are adj inch shorter arms. With the sn95 spindles and team z caster camber plates. The top of the coilover huts the strut tower before i can get to zero camber.

This is also with no motor etc just body weight but i cant see it changing much with strut type coilovers.

Comment

I am glad you posted what it really cost. You have all these internet mechanics posting LSX swap and they don't realize that is cost the same if not more than a 351/302.
          07 GT500
          05 SRT10
          88 turbocoupe T-bird
          93 Cobra
          86 coupe
          Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            So a 351 swap really is cheaper?
            I'm not sure what it costs to build a 351 or what kind of power you can make. The ls will make good power and get great gas mileage, but it has been damn expensive. I'm a tad unhappy about having to run an auto, but at this point I don't care too much.
            2012 GT500

Comment

I'm not sure what it costs to build a 351 or what kind of power you can make. The ls will make good power and get great gas mileage, but it has been damn expensive. I'm a tad unhappy about having to run an auto, but at this point I don't care too much.
              a reasonably well matched combo should put down roughly (very roughly) 450. That's aftermarket heads, cam, intake, etc. I'm budgeting 2k for my build for the 69.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                I am glad you posted what it really cost. You have all these internet mechanics posting LSX swap and they don't realize that is cost the same if not more than a 351/302.
                The key, imo, is to get a very complete setup. If I do this again, I want the complete donor car. There is too much nickel and dime stuff - I got a complete motor with harness, 02's, battery cables, etc and it is still nickel and diming me to death. $40 trans dipstick, $400 oil pan and dipstick, $150 in fittings, $100 in hose, $55 in radiator hoses, $150 in fluids, $150 trans crossmember. $300 kmember.

That's $1k+ in just fringe stuff
                2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  a reasonably well matched combo should put down roughly (very roughly) 450. That's aftermarket heads, cam, intake, etc. I'm budgeting 2k for my build for the 69.
                  Keep updating your thread. I'd like to see what you end up with.
                  I'm probably looking at another $3k in turbo stuff.
                  2012 GT500

Comment

And to be clear $3k of the $9k is the car
                    2012 GT500

Comment

it definitely adds up fast. i took my running/driving/racing ls-coupe and decided i wanted to do some "upgrades", i don't even want to add up everything, but i think i blew my budget about 4 hours into the deal.

Comment

goin for 5.8ohs?

jk, post the updates james

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                          it definitely adds up fast. i took my running/driving/racing ls-coupe and decided i wanted to do some "upgrades", i don't even want to add up everything, but i think i blew my budget about 4 hours into the deal.
                          I'll get with you very soon - need vats gone.

Do you have to run a neutral safety switch on a 4l60e or can you tune out?
                          2012 GT500

Comment

The internet builders are quick to throw out the $3-500 pick & pull 4.8\5.3 LS motor, trans, harness stuff. No one seems to remember that it doesn't fit the chassis, electrical, fuel, cooling, or a\c system at that point. It's a real eye opener when you actually start putting a car together and open a parts catalog or start ordering parts online. $ adds up in a real hurry. Congrats on making some progress and sticking with it.

Comment

I'll get with you very soon - need vats gone.

Do you have to run a neutral safety switch on a 4l60e or can you tune out?
                              The ecm side of the neutral safety runs through the MLPS (range sensor) on the side of the transmission and the trans harness wiring. As far as going from the ignition switch to the starter, you could bypass it, but it's a nice safety feature and would take minimal wiring to have it functioning in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                                The ecm side of the neutral safety runs through the MLPS (range sensor) on the side of the transmission and the trans harness wiring. As far as going from the ignition switch to the starter, you could bypass it, but it's a nice safety feature and would take minimal wiring to have it functioning in my opinion
                                Yeah, I could plug it up easy with the stock harness. My ignition to starter is independent of the ls harness so that isn't an issue. Just don't really want to spend the $50 (on the module) if I don't need to.
                                2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                                X