Cobra/PBR caliper rattle, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra/PBR caliper rattle, any ideas?

Replaced brake pads and turned rotors on my girls 97 cobra, ever since I've had an annoying rattle from the front. Pulled everything apart today, and the only thing I can really tell is that it seems like the entire caliper can freely move within the caliper bracket. I lubricated all the contact points thinking that might quieten it down, no dice. There is just enough clearance that it makes a very distinctive metallic clunk. I attached a video to give you an idea of what I'm battling. Seems like I'll either have to replace the brake pads and possibly the caliper bracket itself. Is this a common issue with these brakes?

Thanks in advance.

did you put the clips that go on the ends of the pads back on?

Comment

install fail try again with the clips

Comment

simple fix. replace the pins.

i had the same issue with my 95 cobra. replaced the pins and problem solved.
        95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Clips? If you are talking about the pin with the "E" clip on the end that is on there, otherwise there were no "clips" on there to begin with.

Comment

4.29 at o'reilly's.
            95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
              Clips? If you are talking about the pin with the "E" clip on the end that is on there, otherwise there were no "clips" on there to begin with.
              i remember there being some clips that slide on the end of the shoes.

Comment

It's the clips...
                sigpic

Comment

Forgive me, since there were no "clips" to begin with I am having trouble understanding if you guys are referring to the guide pin posted above (by the way there is one 1 in oreillys whole distribution network). If thats not what you guys are talking about can you link me to a picture or something?

Comment

This what everyone is talking about? Strange because the car didnt have them to start with (I wasn't the one who did the brakes before) and there was no distinct rattle. Going to order four of these guys.

Comment

check and see if your pins look like this one. this was mine, shitty picture but you can see how it is worn.

you need clips as stated, but mine moved just like that even with new clips. replaced the pins and it took care of it.
                      95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

The pins look fine actually, but I'm going to call the Ford house tomorrow and try to get all 4 clips and 2 new pins/e-clips. Do we have a local dealership parts hookup here on the site?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                          The pins look fine actually, but I'm going to call the Ford house tomorrow and try to get all 4 clips and 2 new pins/e-clips. Do we have a local dealership parts hookup here on the site?
                          that will fix your problem.

good luck man!
                          95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

Comment

Did you lube the back of the pads where they contact the calipers.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                            X