A/C experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C experts

First off, there is a special place in hell for the designer of the heater core setup on '00+ chevy's.

That being said I need to change out my heater core and on these things that requires cracking open the A/C system so I can get access to the heater core. Do I need to replace orfice tubes and dryer even though my system is running fine as it is? Can I just have the system evacuated, do the heater core then have it charged back up after and leave the old dryer and orfice tubes in place?

Also, anyone have a approx cost to evacuate and recharge it? I plan on doing all the labor on the heater core itself.

No need to replace parts, just suck it down for a few hours and recharge it.. Becareful not to allow contaminates into the system while it's open.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I usually charge $30 to evac, recharge, add oil/dye, and leak check the system.
      You dont have to replace the orifice tube but since there only 1-2$ most people stick a new one in while there at it. There's a screen on them to keep trash out of the orifice and it gets clogged up sometimes. It just depends on how long you have the ac system open. Since most heater core replacements take more than an hour I would replace the accumulator/dryer. Just remember not to remove the caps on the dryer until your ready to pull a vacuum.
      Your other option is to cap the open lines and pull a vacuum on the system while your doing the heater core.
      Last edited by stephen4785; 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
        I usually charge $30 to evac, recharge, add oil/dye, and leak check the system.
        You dont have to replace the orifice tube but since there only 1-2$ most people stick a new one in while there at it. There's a screen on them to keep trash out of the orifice and it gets clogged up sometimes. It just depends on how long you have the ac system open. Since most heater core replacements take more than an hour I would replace the accumulator/dryer. Just remember not to remove the caps on the dryer until your ready to pull a vacuum.
        Yeah thats what I was worried about is the dryer attracting moisture from the air after I crack it open. Uggggg, thanks for the info. I may need to get with you when I decide to replace this thing. For right now, I have bypassed the heater core.

Comment

Any time bro. Let me know when you get ready to do it and I can come by some time and give you a hand. Ill recharge your system for free since you gave me those mufflers awhile back.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
            Any time bro. Let me know when you get ready to do it and I can come by some time and give you a hand. Ill recharge your system for free since you gave me those mufflers awhile back.

Comment

Working...
            X