Car pissing me off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car pissing me off!!

I own a '90 LX 5.0 with all the bolt on you can get, the only thing left stock is the block and cam. What it is doing is; turn key fuel pump primes, check fuel pressure gauge on fuel rail reads around 40 psi, turn key over and check spark with the screwdriver and a plug wire pulled off and get spark, but the car won't fire. A Friend suggested after all we've changed and since it is getting spark and fuel it must be the ECU. I've replaced the fuel shut off sensor under the seat, checked all my fuses, made sure connections on ECu are good, replace the electronic piece on distrubutor, bought a new MSD 5.0L coil, etc. Any ideas from the mustang gods?

Have you had the dist. out or moved?
    Two in the pink and one in the stink

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
      Have you had the dist. out or moved?
      My stock Dist. took a shit and I replaced it along with the electronic chip on the side at the same time about a year ago. Ran fine for several months then one morning, get in to drive to work, and nothing.
      "Why am I here?" A. Cronauer

Comment

get a dmm or a test light to check the injectors are pulsing, or just try and crank it for a little bit and pull plugs to see if they have fuel on them to verify that the injectors are firing. if not its probably the ecu or wiring. just because you have fuel rail pressure doesn't mean its making it into the cylinder.

if you verified they are firing its possible the timing is just way off. since you already verified you have spark.

Comment

Originally posted by jnobles06 View Post
          get a test light to check the injectors are pulsing, or just try and crank it for a little bit and pull plugs to see if they have fuel on them to verify that the injectors are firing.
          Good idea, thanks I'll try that. That would verify that the ECU is working correctly and it's something else wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKEY View Post
            Good idea, thanks you I'll try that. That would verify that the ECU is working correctly and it's something else wouldn't it?
            Pull the codes to verify that your ECM is okay.

Comment

Sounds like the ignition control module on the side of the distributor, it will not send power to the distrbutor if its bad. Also the strator in the distributor can go bad as well. To get it out will require some patience and for a only about 40.00 you can get the whole dizzy.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Needs a LSx in it.

Comment

Rick I've replaced that and it is still getting spark down to the plugs. I verified that by pulling a boot, sticking a screw driver in it, and cranking the car to see spark.

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
                    Needs a LSx in it.
                    Please!! I still haven't seen a Chevy anything run low 6's in the 1/4 mile (Pro 5.0), when they do maybe.

Comment

Does it back fire, make any noise etc? What was the reason for all the work in the first place?

Comment

Have you used a noid light to make sure the injectors are getting a signal?
                        Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKEY View Post
                          Please!! I still haven't seen a Chevy anything run low 6's in the 1/4 mile (Pro 5.0), when they do maybe.

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                            Does it back fire, make any noise etc? What was the reason for all the work in the first place?

No. All the work was done because one day drove fine next morning acted like out of gas. All that it does that is out of normal operating procesdure is that the fuel pump never shuts off. For example I usually turn the key on and listen for the pump to prime then hit the key and go. Well this morning I turned the key on to prime the pump and it just continued to run. So I went ahead and tried to start it, but it didn't start. I thought great somehow it has blown the rubber hose off the fuel pump and the pump is now trying to pressurise (sp) the entire fuel tank. Then I thought to try and check the schrader valve guage to see if fuel was getting from the tank to there, when I verified it was I turned to Spark. That is when I pulled a plug wire and stuck a screw driver in it, set it on the intake, and tried to start the car. I could see the spark arch so I assumed I am getting spark and fuel to the injectors and that the injectors must not be opening (bad ecu maybe). I am about to go, try and start it, pull a plug and tell y'all those results. Someone else has suggested to me that the three tube shaped fuses, part of the wiring harness, near the starter selinoid had one go bad maybe? I have not tested them with a check light either. So I will give those results too.

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post

Huh?
                              I have yet to see a LSx run in the low 6's yet. A "Good old" Chevy 350 or 454 sure but not a LSanything that I know of is that fast. As a daily driver you can't beat a Terminator with a few bolt on's and 1000hp. Can't recall any LSx equipped cars that you can do that with. OK I can see it on the Corvette ZR1 maybe, but is that an even comparison (Corvette vs Mustang)? I though it was pony car vs pony car in the real world? Oh that is right the new Slomaro cannot even compare to the new 5.0 Mustangs (they have more HP too), so Chevy guys have to throw the Corvette into the fight to win. Why not compare Corvette to Ford GT, oh yeah cause the GT will stomp the Corvette, even ZR1.

Comment

Working...
                              X